WICHITA, Kan. – It was more of the same for Dylan Wells and the Wichita Thunder Saturday night, as they defeated the Rapid City Rush 4-1.

Three of the top five goal scorers from Wichita added to their totals.

The bears came flying over the boards at 10:03 of the first, as Dyson Stevenson scored on a one-timer off a pass by P.C. Labrie, beating Michael Bitzer on his glove side.


Other than a couple penalties for both sides, the rest of the first period was fairly uneventful and rather sloppy for Wichita.

“I don’t think we start games great,” Malcolm Cameron said. “We seem to get on our heels [and] take early penalties, and that’s got to change moving forward.”

It only took a couple minutes for the Wichita Thunder to double the lead in the second. A back and forth passing sequence between Steven Iacobellis and Stevenson resulted in Iacobellis’ eighth goal of the season at 4:15 as he tucked the puck behind Bitzer’s skate.


Wichita would take a couple penalties later in the second but killed them off with the help of Wells. Later in the period, Wichita continued lighting the lamp, as Ralph Cuddemi would score off a great feed by Nolan Vesey in the middle of the slot at 18:17 of the second.

The third period started quite lackluster, neither team firing too many quality chances until the 8:50 mark when Cedric Montminy would end Wells’ shutout bid.

The Thunder, like usual, did not take too long to fire back as they extended the lead back to three on a slick powerplay goal by Stefan Fournier, who had evaded every Rapid City player on the ice for a one-on-one opportunity with Bitzer.


Both goaltenders had to make a couple more stops to keep the game where it was and where it would eventually end, a 4-1 win for Wichita, their fourth straight. Wichita ended 2-for-4 on the powerplay while stopping Rapid City on all six penalty kill situations.

Wells stopped 39 of the 40 shots he faced to bring his record up to 5-3-2-0, this being his fifth straight win.

“I think the team is just playing better defensively,” Cameron said. “We had some good saves when we needed to [and] we had some timely blocks on the penalty kill when we needed it.”

Wichita and Rapid City finish their three-game stand this afternoon at 4:05 p.m. at INTRUST Bank Arena.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey