WICHITA, Kan. – It was a red light special in Wichita on Saturday night as the two teams combined for seven goals in the first period alone. Tulsa would get the last laugh though, with two late goals in the second period to solidify a 6-5 win over the Thunder.

It did not take long to get started as Calder Brooks scored just 1:01 into the game, his second goal in two games with the Thunder.

The Thunder doubled their lead just over three minutes later, P.C. Labrie scored his 18th of the season, a powerplay goal.

The momentum slowly slipped from Wichita’s grasp as Tulsa found a goal of their own at 9:31, a powerplay goal of their own from Stephen Perfetto.

At 11:52, Labrie would take a roughing penalty. As the play was blown dead, he encouraged a couple of Oilers to join him with some hacks. Jared Wilson joined in, earning himself a 10-minute misconduct penalty. The misconduct penalty saved Wichita of a potential 5-on-3 penalty kill.

Tulsa made Wichita pay for the Labrie penalty, as Perfetto netted his second of the game, another powerplay game at 13:12 in the first to tie that game at two.

After a quiet couple of minutes, Tulsa found their first lead of the game when Alex Dostie scored his first goal of the season. The goal came on the powerplay after a high-sticking call on Quentin Shore.

The Thunder received a great opportunity at 17:30 when Mike McKee took a roughing penalty. Wichita struck 1:04 later on a nice backhanded shot by Corey Kalk.

Wichita was not done yet when 25 seconds later, Brooks found the back of the net for the second time of the night, regaining Wichita’s lead.

Finally, the first period ended, Wichita leading 4-3. Both powerplays were perfect in the first, Wichita going 2-for-2 and Tulsa going 3-for-3. The Thunder outshot the Oilers 16-9 in the period.

Devin Buffalo took over goaltending duties for Wichita to start the second period. He and Ian Keserich would keep the period scoreless until Tulsa struck at 14:17 on Dostie’s second of the day.

Wichita regained their lead a minute later while shorthanded. Jakob Stukel scored one of his signature highlight reel goals after dekeing past a Tulsa defender and sinking it behind Keserich.

Tulsa responded with a late pair of goals much like Wichita’s first-period pair. At 18:43, Charlie Sampair tied the game at five, scoring his 18th of the year.

Under a minute later, Adam Pleskach scored the eventual game-winning goal on a nice feed from Jared Thomas.

After two periods, Tulsa led 6-5 and were outshooting the Thunder 22-19. Wichita only recorded three shots on net in the entire second period.

Stuart Skinner returned to the ice for Wichita in the third period.

While the third period had plenty of opportunities for both sides, the goalies reigned supreme as Skinner and Keserich stopped everything they faced.

In the end, Tulsa outshot Wichita 28-26. The Thunder powerplay finished 2-of-4 while the Oilers went 3-for-6.

The teams combined for 36 penalty minutes, Wilson’s misconduct accounting for 10 of the 36. Tulsa advanced to 8-2-0-0 in the season series with Wichita with the win.

The two teams face off once again on Sunday, Mar. 24, the puck drop is set for 4:05 p.m. You can catch Matthew Harding and I on the Sin Bin pregame show at 3:30 p.m.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey