CHICAGO — It’s a special edition of the Weekly One Timer, as the Vegas Golden Knights traded for defenseman Zac Leslie on February 5, 2018. The trade for Leslie marks the first mid-season move for the Golden Knights organization.
The Weekly One Timer introduces you to one member of the Chicago Wolves organization with five facts about and five quotes from that person.
1. Zac Leslie was drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the sixth round, 178th overall in 2013 during his second year of draft eligibility.
2. In 121 games with the Ontario Reign, Leslie recorded 33 points (6G, 27A).
3. Before his time with the Reign, the defenseman played four seasons in the OHL for the Guelph Storm, where he posted 155 points (39G, 116A) in 250 games. Guelph won the OHL Championship in 2014, which was Leslie’s third season.
4. His sister is Rebecca Leslie, a female hockey player who was drafted in the 5th round, 19th overall by the Metropolitan Riveters in the 2017 NWHL Entry Draft.
5. Zac Leslie is known for being an offensive defenseman, which means he should be an asset on a team lacking in consistent blue line scoring.
6. When asked about getting a start with a new team, Leslie said,
“I’m really excited. Obviously it didn’t necessarily end the way I wanted it to in Ontario, and with the L.A. organization, so I’m really excited to get here, get playing, and show Vegas and Chicago what I can do and what I bring to the table.”
7. Though he’s only spoken with Wolves’ head coach Rocky Thompson a few times, Leslie believes he can contribute immediately.
“I think he wants me to bring my offensive side that I had in junior. In L.A., the defensive system they played didn’t allow me to bring what I have to the table. I mean, I’m an offensive defenseman, skilled defenseman who’s supposed to help the team produce so that’s my job and I think Rocky’s gonna look for me to do that here.”
8. His plan for helping out this defense produce more points?
“I think it’s speed and puck movement. As a defenseman, my job is to get the puck as cleanly to the forwards. That’s been my first priority is getting the puck to the forwards as cleanly as I can and give them the opportunity to go down and score.”
9. As for what he thought of the Wolves from their two games against the Reign, Leslie said,
“They’re really fast, obviously. They bring a lot of speed, there’s guys swinging all over the place so it’s fun. It’s a fun system to play and it’s very offensive so I think that’s going to benefit me as well.”
10. The defenseman has playoffs on the mind now.
“The West is tight. I mean, you win a game, you go up in the playoffs, you lose you’re out. It’s a bit tight so hopefully I can bring that kind of playoff mentality we’ve had from the beginning in Ontario right to Chicago and push forward through the end of the season into the playoffs.”
As always, be sure to follow @SinBinWolves on Twitter for current news and game updates.