NORTH CHARLESTON, SC – It was clear the Stingrays were not going down without a fight last night. Despite missing a key piece in Derek DeBlois, South Carolina would be propelled to a 4-1 thanks to a solid start. It was a wild game and only sets up an exciting game seven tonight.

The Stingrays controlled the play early on and kept the puck in the Adirondack zone. The pressure would pay off as Joe Devin blistered a shot from the right circle past Ken Appleby off a faceoff win by Kelly Zajac.

After a brief push by the Thunder, South Carolina would strike again on the powerplay. Zajac threw the puck through of mess of players in front to Stephan Vigier who just managed to get enough of the puck and push it past Appleby for the 2-0 lead.

A lack of discipline reared its ugly head once again for the Stingrays. Big saves by Mark Dekanich and a couple of heroic diving blocks by Austin Fyten kept the Thunder off the board.

Then David Pacan took down Michael Kirkpatrick to give Adirondack a five-on-three at the 19:28 mark. Mathieu Broduer scored 20 seconds later to cut the lead to 2-1.

After five Stingrays received a minor during the first things would even out a bit with three penalties called against the Thunder in the second. The parade to the penalty box proved to be costly for Adirondack as Bobby Shea set up a one-timer from Austin Fyten to put South Carolina up 3-1 at 9:25.

Vigier would score his second of the night on a five-on-three powerplay five minutes later to extend the lead to 4-1. It was a dominating period for the Stingrays who outshot Adirondack 10-2.

The final frame was for the most part uneventful until about midway through the third when a pane of glass near the penalty box was broken. Teams were sent to the locker room and it would be a 25 minutes before play was resumed.

The delay did not help Adirondack get back in to the game. Most of their chances were non-threatening and Adirondack couldn’t find the back of the net.

A battle that has been going on all series between the Stingrays and Ryan Lomberg finally came to a head when Trevor Gilies got a hold of him and they dropped the gloves. Every faceoff spawned new combatants. The game slipped in to fight night and message sending time for Game 7. There were 120 total penalty minutes when it was all said and done.

The two teams will meet again one last time this season tonight at 7:05 at the North Charleston Coliseum for Game 7.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!