WICHITA, Kan. – It was Alex Dostie and the Tulsa Oilers who had the last laugh in a back-and-forth affair on Sunday afternoon as Tulsa defeated Wichita 6-5 in overtime.

Once again, Wichita started hot on Sunday afternoon as Stefan Fournier scored 33 seconds into the game thanks to a nice set up by Nolan De Jong.

The Thunder carried their momentum, along with over 6700 Thunder faithful until the 17:34 mark in the first when Wichita found the net another time.

Mark MacMillan scored his first goal since Tuesday, Feb. 19 on the powerplay after a tripping call on Jared Thomas, giving Wichita a 2-0 lead.

The Thunder carried the 2-0 lead into the intermission, also leading in shots, 9-6.

It did not take long for Tulsa to get onto the second-period scoreboard, as Steven Kaunisto scored his eighth of the season just 57 seconds in. The goal was scored after Stuart Skinner was badly interfered with, leaving him on his back and on the other side of the crease. The refs discussed and decided to rule it a good goal.

Wichita responded nicely to the play, scoring one of their own minutes later, this one courtesy of Jakob Stukel, scoring in his second straight game.

Adam Pleskach made things look easy at 6:24 when he tipped in a great feed from Kaunisto, cutting Wichita’s lead to 3-2.

After nearly 10 minutes of back-and-forth, scoreless hockey, the Oilers struck again. Seconds after Wichita sent Fournier to the box for a “too many men” penalty, Stephan Perfetto made Wichita pay with his sixth goal of the season.

Stukel doubled is goal count for the night two minutes later while Wichita was on the powerplay.

Tulsa quickly equalized at 19:40 in the second as Ryan Tesink one-timed a rocket shot over Skinner’s shoulder during a delayed penalty.

Thanks to the late goal, Tulsa and Wichita went into the second intermission tied at 4-4.

The Thunder regained their lead at 4:32 of the third, MacMillan scoring his second of the game, Keoni Texeira and Corey Kalk assisting on the play.

Once again, Wichita struggled to keep momentum, allowing a goal 26 seconds later to Roman AmmiratoScott Henegar with the lone helper on the play.

The team’s goaltenders did the rest of the work in regulation, keeping the final 15+ minutes scoreless, taking a red-light special to overtime.

Wichita started the overtime period hot, putting a couple of good opportunities together, but firing wide on every attempt. Tulsa on the other hand only needed one good chance. Dostie found a puck near mid-ice and raced it down into the zone, firing the game-winner past Skinner.

Wichita fell to 24-30-8-3 this year with the loss while Tulsa advanced to 38-21-4-2 on the year and 9-2-0-0 against Wichita this season.

The Thunder powerplay finished 2-for-5 and the Oilers finished 1-for-4. Wichita was outshot in the game, 29-22.

The Thunder look to rebound from the loss on Wednesday night, March 27 as they welcome the Utah Grizzlies to town for the final meeting of the season between the two teams. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m., you can catch Matthew Harding and me on the Sin Bin pregame show at 6:30 p.m.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey