SPRINGFIELD, MA – The Springfield Thunderbirds will welcome the Lehigh Valley Phantoms tonight to the MassMutual Center. The Thunderbirds have had a rough start to the season with a record of 1-6-1.
These two teams played each other on Wednesday night after the Phantoms took down the 3-2 victory in overtime. Greg Carey scored the game-winning goal in overtime for the Phantoms on the power play with less than a minute left. Dryden Hunt continued his goal streak for the Thunderbirds as he scored his fifth of the year and tallies in three out of his last four games. Thomas Schemitsch scored his first of the year for the Thunderbirds in the overtime loss.
- Heading into tonight’s game Hunt leads the Thunderbirds in goals with five, and Curtis Valk leads the team in points with eight with two goals and six assists.
- Danick Martel has been on a hot streak for the Phantoms. Martel has appeared in all eight games for the Phantoms this season scoring seven goals and three assists for ten points.
- It has been a busy week with transactions for the Thunderbirds. They signed Bobby Farnham to a professional tryout on Tuesday. He made his Thunderbirds debut on Wednesday night and got into a fight with Samuel Morin from the Phantoms.
- Thunderbirds goaltender Harri Sateri was sent down on Wednesday after being called up to the Florida Panthers. Sateri did not start in any games with the Panthers during his time down in Florida.
- Francois Beauchemin and Evan Cowley were sent down to the Manchester Monarchs in the ECHL yesterday.
- Beauchemin played in two games with the Thunderbirds and had yet to register any points.
- Cowley took down his first professional win on Sunday with a 27-save performance in a 7-4 victory over the Belleville Senators.
- Chase Balisy was called up to the Florida Panthers on Friday. He has skated in eight games with the Thunderbirds this season scoring two goals.
The puck will drop tonight between two teams at 7:05 p.m.