With the ECHL Trade Deadline long gone, it is time to turn our attention to the race for the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
Beginning today and running through the end of the regular season, we will keep you updated with who has clinched playoff berths, division titles and has home-ice cinched up for the opening round.
For those new to hockey and not sure of how the magic numbers work, it represents the total of additional wins by the front-running team or additional losses (or any combination thereof) by the rival team after which it is mathematically impossible for the a team to clinch a playoff berth, win division titles or have home-ice.
Before we start, huge thanks to our statistician Joe Alsman for putting together the magic number tables for us. Joe provides our team with a wealth of statistical information during the season and its awesome to have him as part of Team Sin Bin.
Let’s start first in the Eastern Conference.
- Toledo and Manchester are closing in on playoff berths and are likely to clinch very soon. Toledo’s magic number is 2, while Manchester’s sits at 3.
- South Carolina and Florida would be the next to clinch berths. The Stingrays have a magic number of 6, while Florida is at 7.
- Toledo is the closest to clinching a division title. Their magic number to winning the North Division is 9 at the start of play on Tuesday.
- Manchester and South Carolina cannot clinch division titles this week.
- At the bottom of the standings, five teams are within six points for the final three playoff spots. Reading, Wheeling and Elmira currently occupy those spots.
Now, in the Western Conference.
- Missouri has already clinched a playoff berth. They will win the Central Division and Western Conference Regular Season championships with a win against Allen Wednesday night.
- Idaho, Fort Wayne and Allen are all close to clinching berths, but everyone except Indy have games in hand on those teams.
- Idaho and Fort Wayne are atleast a week away from clinching division titles.
- In the race for eighth (currently occupied by the Quad City Mallards,) the Tulsa Oilers sit three points out and the Indy Fuel are five points out.
Here is an update in the race for the Brabham Cup:
- Missouri’s magic number for clinching their first Brabham Cup (league regular-season title,) is at 10 over Toledo.
- Should the Mavericks win the Brabham Cup, it would be their second league regular-season title (2013-14 in Central Hockey League.)
Hitting the links:
- The Wichita Thunder are the first team to clinch a berth on the golf course, once the regular season is over. Brampton and Norfolk have elimination numbers of 1 each.
Stay with thesinbin.net for the latest information on the push for the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey