As the hourglass continues to dwindle on the regular-season, the playoff races are heating up.
Missouri clinched the Central Division and a share of the Western Conference regular season titles Wednesday night. They will win the conference & home-ice advantage throughout the conference playoffs with their next point in the standings.
The Mavericks magic number for clinching their first Brabham Cup (league regular-season title,) is at 8 over Toledo. With Missouri playing three games this weekend and Toledo two, there is a chance that if Missouri sweeps the weekend and Toledo loses one of their games, the Brabham Cup could be sewn up.
In the East, the Toledo Walleye can clinch a berth in the playoffs with a win tonight and a loss by the Atlanta Gladiators.
There is an outside chance of the Manchester Monarchs clinching their first ever Kelly Cup playoff berth this weekend, but that will more than likely come next week.
Tonight, the Atlanta Gladiators look to right the ship and get back into a playoff position when they face the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. The Glads sit three points behind Elmira for the 8th and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, while Greenville is in 12th place and seven points out of a playoff position. Atlanta has lost seven straight games, while Greenville is 3-6-1-0 in their last ten games.
The Sin Bin’s Kevin Jordan breaks down another key weekend series, from the Elmira perspective. The Jackals are taking on the Manchester Monarchs, who they have a 3-6-0-0 record against this season.
Also in the east, the South Carolina Stingrays and Florida Everblades will tangle in a battle for the South Division lead. The Stingrays enter tonight’s contest with a scant 1 point lead and have a 5-3-1-0 record against Florida this season.
In the west, Tulsa will look to snap a seven-game skid and keep tabs with the Quad City Mallards as they go up against the Missouri Mavericks.
The Komets return home from an eight-game road trip and have a six point lead over Cincinnati for first place in the Midwest Division. The Komets take on the Mallards, while Cincinnati plays Wheeling in a rematch last night’s thrilling game.
Here are the Magic Numbers for clinching division titles as of Friday:
|Division||Division Leader||Magic Number|
If the Playoffs Started Today:
Here is what the playoff matchups would be for the Quarterfinal Series in both the Eastern and Western Conferences. The record in parenthesis is the team’s record at the start of play on Friday.
(1) Toledo Walleye 40-16-2-3, 85 pts vs (8) Elmira Jackals 32-27-3-1, 68 pts
(2) Manchester Monarchs 37-18-3-5, 82 pts vs (7) Reading Royals 31-23-5-3, 70 pts
(3) South Carolina Stingrays 36-18-5-2, 79 pts vs (6) Wheeling Nailers 32-23-2-4, 70 pts
(4) Florida Everblades 38-20-0-2, 78 pts (5) Adirondack Thunder 35-21-2-4, 76 pts
(1) Missouri Mavericks 47-8-3-2, 99 pts vs (8) Quad City Mallards 29-25-4-2, 64 pts
(2) Fort Wayne Komets 35-19-5-2, 77 pts vs (7) Colorado Eagles 32-26-2-1, 67 pts
(3) Idaho Steelheads 34-21-5-2, 75 pts vs (6) Utah Grizzlies 33-24-3-2, 68 pts
(4) Allen Americans 36-21-3-2, 77 pts vs (5) Cincinnati Cyclones 32-22-4-3, 71 pts
Stay with thesinbin.net for the latest news on the race to the Kelly Cup Playoffs!