The Providence Bruins started their first round series of the Calder Cup playoff against the Wilkes Barre Scranton Penguins. Jeremy Smith started in net for the Bruins opposed by Casey DeSmith for the Penguins. The Bruins came out slow in the first period giving up some early chances to the Penguins. But were able to right their wrong as the first period continued. Frank Vatrano was shadowed early by the Penguins players making sure that he didn’t get any clean looks at the net. As the game ramped up the physicality was taken to a completely new level. Both teams were finishing their checks and making sure to set the tone early for the rest of the series. They continued to trade chances with both goalies making saves in tight to keep the game tied at nothing. Jake Guentzel opened the scoring for the Penguins on a goal assisted by Will O’Neil and Carter Rowney. The Bruins pushed back, but couldn’t slide anything past DeSmith. After one it was the Penguins one and the Bruins nothing, the Bruins were out shooting the Penguins 12 to 10.

The Bruins came out for the second period looking to find the games tying goal. But Dustin Jeffery scored just 18 seconds into the frame to give the Penguins the 2-0 lead. Karl Mouillierat and Tom Sestito got the assists on the goal of the Penguins. The Bruins pushed back from that goal and continued to try and get opportunities on DeSmith. They traded chances as the second period continued with neither team being able to find the back of the net. Both goalies stood on their head through much of the second period turning away shot after shot. The Bruins finally got on the board late in the second as Seth Griffith scored assisted by Max Talbot and Brian Ferlin. The Bruins continued to pound away, but could find the back of the net. The second period ended with the Bruins down 2-1 and the shots 25 to 18 for the Bruins.

The Bruins came back out for the third looking to find the tying goal and get themselves back into the game. The Bruins were playing desperate to try and tie the game, but that got them in trouble. Seth Griffith put the Bruins down when he was sent to the sin bin for a slashing minor. But Colby Cave tied the game scoring a short handed goal assisted by Noel Acciari and Jeremy Smith. The shorthanded goal tied the game for the Bruins and made it a battle for the next one. Both goalies were forced to make some huge saves just to keep the game tied. Neither team could find the back of the net though as the third period was coming to a close. With both goalies standing on their head it made it hard for both teams to find the back of the net. After three periods it was 3-3 and the shots 33 to 25, the game was headed to overtime.

The Penguins continued overtime which was short and sweet as Carter Rowney scored to win the game for the Penguins. Tom Kostopoulos and Jake Guentzel got the assists on the game winning goal for the Penguins. The Bruins fell 3-2 in overtime and fell behind in the series 1-0.

Third star Casey DeSmith, he made 30 saves in the victory for the Penguins. Second star Dustin Jeffery, he had the second goal for the Penguins giving them the lead at the time. First star Carter Rowney, he had the game winner for the Penguins and added an assist.

Game two will take place Thursday night at 7 in Wilkes Barre.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!