ALLEN, TX – Finally the big day for the Allen Americans has arrived. If you follow social media you have undoubtedly seen the many announcements about the announcement. All of the speculation comes to an end today at 1:00 pm.
I have had numerous calls, texts, emails and private messages asking what is about to happen. As you might imagine the team wants to be the one to make the announcement and I respect that. I can share what is pretty obvious and that is they would not have the mayor of Allen and the Commissioner of the ECHL join Allen executives at the Allen Event Center this afternoon and invite the media and fans if it wasn’t good news.
– Everyone is welcome to attend the press conference so if you have the time and interest please stop by. I have been told the press conference is not intended to last very long, about 30 minutes, so a late lunch will be enough time to take it all in.
– The plan is to have the event on “Facebook Live” so that may be an option for some if you can’t make it to the press conference but want to see what takes place.
– I know most of you have received the information below with all of the details about the press conference but in case you were missed here is all you need to know.
– I will have another article this afternoon that will talk about the announcement. It will be posted at 2:00 pm so make sure to come back and check it out.
– With all of the hoopla about the big announcement today it is easy to forget the team is preparing for a trip to Tulsa tomorrow to take on the Oilers. Even though Tulsa is not in the Mountain Division they play the Americans 14 times this season. Allen has 16 games remaining in the regular season and five of them are against Tulsa.
– Colorado won again last night beating Utah 5-4 in overtime. The Eagles have won 13 straight games and now lead the ECHL in points with 76. Despite the long Colorado winning streak, Allen is just three points behind with 73 points.
– Former Allen American John Snowden was behind the bench last night as the Orlando Solar Bears beat Atlanta 4-0. John is the assistant coach for Orlando but is filling for head coach Drake Berehowsky who has taken a temporary leave of absence after suffering a “medical emergency” Tuesday night.
– Here is the latest blog post from Aaron Dell where he talks about the game of playing goalie. Interesting read: https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/worlds-okayest-blog–the-game-of-being-goalie/c-286992726
DID YOU KNOW: According to Wikipedia there have been 57 different franchises in the history of the ECHL and many of them have moved numerous times. Here is a good example. The Huntington Blizzard started out as a new franchise in Huntington, West Virginia and played from 1993-2000. The franchise was then moved to Beaumont, Texas and played as the Texas Wildcatters from 2003-2008. The franchise then moved to Ontario, California and played as the Ontario Reign from 2008-2015. In 2015 the franchise was moved to Manchester, New Hampshire where they currently play as the Manchester Monarchs. During all of those years and all of the moves, none of the teams have ever won a championship.