LAFAYETTE, LA – The Peoria Rivermen continue to acquire accolades for their stellar regular season. The Southern Professional Hockey League named the goaltending tandem of Kyle Rank and David Jacobson their ‘Players of the Month’ for January. Both tendies were instrumental in Peoria’s league-record 14-game winning streak which ended on January 30th against the Fayetteville FireAntz.
The Rivs look to build on their 11-game road win streak – also a league record – this weekend as they play the Macon Mayhem for the SPHL Title Belt tonight before continuing on to Fayetteville for a weekend series.
Tonight’s Game Capsules
Peoria Rivermen (25-6-2) at Macon Mayhem (13-17-4)
- Title Belt Game: Peoria is making their first title defense after reacquiring the belt January 31st against Fayetteville. Peoria is 8-4 in Title Belt games, Macon is 2-5.
- Fifth meeting between the teams this season. Peoria has won all four previous games, the most recent being a 4-0 shutout on January 21st in Macon.
- Rivermen forward Terrence Wallin has three of the four game-winning goals in this series.
- Rivermen goalie David Jacobson has started in net for both teams in this series.
Huntsville Havoc (17-14-2) at Pensacola Ice Flyers (19-11-2)
- Fifth meeting this season between these teams. Pensacola leads the series, 3-0-1, with two games in the series being decided in a shootout.
- Special Teams Aces: Pensacola’s Corey Banfield leads the SPHL in power play goals with six, while Huntsville’s John Lidgett has a league-high three shorthanded tallies.
- Lidgett is leading all SPHL rookies in scoring with 28 points (9G/19A) and Banfield has the overall scoring lead with 39 points (23G/16A)
- The Ice Flyers are a league-best 9-0-1 at home when tied or leading after the first period.
- Peoria at Fayetteville – 7:05 ET
- Mississippi at Macon – 7:30 ET
- Huntsville at Columbus – 7:30 ET
- Louisiana at Knoxville – 7:35 ET