Last night, the Knoxville Ice Bears defeated the Pensacola Ice Flyers, 5-4, in a wild affair. Well-traveled ECHL emergency backup netminder Brent Troyan made his first SPHL start for Pensacola, forcing the Ice Flyers to open up offensively. The Flyers made a game of it, rapidly answering Knoxville’s scores. The Ice Bears extend their win streak to six games, and have the rest of the weekend off.
As fun of a game it was to watch offensively, fans were treated to a great middleweight scrap between two old rivals. Knoxville’s Dennis Sicard and Pensacola’s David Segal, himself a former Ice Bear, had their 11th fight over seven seasons. This may be the last time that Segal and Sicard square off, so go ahead and enjoy.
Columbus Cottonmouths at Fayetteville FireAntz: 7:05 ET
- Fifth meeting between the teams this season, each team with two wins. The FireAntz won the last game, 9-3, in Fayetteville on 1/26/16.
- The Snakes have won their last three games, while the FireAntz are on a three game winless streak.
- No Columbus player has more than three points over the last ten games. Seven players have three points.
- The FireAntz are tough to beat at home. Fayetteville has the best home record in the league, going 13-5-2 at the Crown Center.
Pensacola Ice Flyers at Macon Mayhem: 7:30 ET
- Sixth meeting this season. Pensacola leads the season series, 3-1-1. The Ice Flyers won the last game, 4-3 in a shootout, on January 31st.
- This game could be a battle between two former FHL goalies. Macon’s Curtis Martinu (Port Huron) and Pensacola’s Brent Troyan (Dayton) are both projected to start.
- The Ice Flyers’ Corey Banfield has eight goals and two assists against Macon this season.
- When not leading after the first period, the Mayhem are 2-11-2.
Huntsville Havoc at Louisiana IceGators: 7:05 CT
- Fourth meeting this season. Huntsville leads the season series, 2-1-0. The Havoc took a 6-1 decision in their last meeting in Huntsville on January 30th.
- The IceGators return to the Cajundome for their first home game since January 9th. At 4-7-4, The Gators have the league’s worst home record.
- Huntsville’s Scott Henegar has the Havoc’s hot hand with 12 points (8G/4A) in his last ten games.
- Louisiana’s Zac Frischmon is riding a three game goal scoring streak and a five game point scoring streak.
- Pensacola at Macon, 7:30 ET
- Huntsville at Louisiana, 7:05 CT
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey