LAFAYETTE, LA — It’s a full, four-game slate of SPHL action tonight. The Peoria Rivermen start one of their longest trips of the year as they visit the Snakes in Columbus. Also, the IceGators head to Pensacola with another starting goalie, Macon hosts Fayetteville for a weekend set, and the defending champion Knoxville Ice Bears prepare for a game against the red-hot Huntsville Havoc.
Peoria Rivermen at Columbus Cottonmouths
- First meeting between the teams, and the first of a two-game weekend set. Peoria won last season’s series, three games to two.
- The Cottonmouths have gone 6-3-1 in their last ten games after starting the season 0-4-3.
- The Rivermen look for better luck against a different opponent, after going 1-2-1 in their last four games – all against the Mississippi RiverKings.
- Peoria recently dealt for Macon Mayhem center Connor Toomey. Toomey becomes the Rivs’ leading scorer with 14 points (3G, 11A) over 17 games.
- Snakes center Shawn Bates has eight points (2G, 6A) in his last five games.
Fayetteville FireAntz at Macon Mayhem
- Fourth meeting between the teams, and the third in the past four games. Macon leads the season series 2-1-0, with one win decided in overtime.
- Fayetteville’s Kyle Gibbons is the leading scorer in the series with six points (3G, 3A)
- Gibbons and his FireAntz teammate Josh McQuade are tied for second in the league in scoring with 18 points.
- The Mayhem have acquired Jake Trask and Nick Grasso in a trade with the Peoria Rivermen.
- FireAntz forward Nick Lazorko has a six-game point scoring streak.
Huntsville Havoc at Knoxville Ice Bears
- Sixth meeting between the teams this season, and the first of a tw0-game weekend set. Huntsville leads the series 4-1-0, with one game decided in overtime.
- Havoc defensive standout Justin Tateson has been placed on the 30-day IR.
- Knoxville forward Todd Hosmer has an eight-game point scoring streak – the longest current streak in the league.
- Huntsville winger Kyle McNeil is the leading scorer in the series with seven points (5G, 2A)
- Havoc forward Jason Popek leads the league in goals with ten, while Knoxville winger Trever Hertz leads the league in assists with thirteen.
- Knoxville’s power play at home (29.2%) is second in the league, and Huntsville road power play (17.2%) is third.
Louisiana IceGators at Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Fourth meeting between the teams this season. Pensacola leads the series 3-0-0, scoring five goals in each of the matches. The teams will meet again in Lafayette on Sunday afternoon.
- Recently acquired goalie Brad Barone will get his first SPHL start for the IceGators. Barone attended training camp with the Ice Flyers, and defeated the IceGators in preseason with a 31/32 save performance.
- IceGators’ enforcer Anthony Pisano has been called up to the ECHL Manchester Monarchs.
- Pensacola’s Adam Pawlick leads the series in scoring with six points (1G, 5A), while teammates Ryan Kesti and Joe Caveney each have three goals against the IceGators.
- The IceGators are 1-for-15 (6.7%) in power plays against the Ice Flyers, and 3-for-71 (4.2%) overall.
- Peoria at Columbus: 7:30 ET
- Fayetteville at Macon: 7:30 ET
- Huntsville at Knoxville: 7:35 ET
- Mississippi at Louisiana: 7:05 CT