It’s a full schedule tonight in the Southern Professional Hockey League. The Mississippi RiverKings and Knoxville Ice Bears meet for the first time since the President’s Cup Final. The Peoria Rivermen look to extend their four-game winning streak with the Louisiana IceGators making the long trip north for the weekend. Over in Huntsville, the Pensacola Ice Flyers look to hand the Huntsville Havoc their first home loss. Finally, the Fayetteville FireAntz defend the SPHL Title Belt for the third time this season against the Columbus Cottonmouths.
Title Belt Game: Fayetteville FireAntz at Columbus Cottonmouths
- First meeting of seven this season. Columbus won last season’s series, 6-4-0.
- Like last season, the Cottonmouths won their first game of the year after dropping their first seven. In 2014-15, the Snakes went on to win ten in a row after starting 0-7-0.
- Cottonmouths rookie winger Chris Rial leads the team with five goals.
- FireAntz goalie Sean Bonar is second in the league with a .928 save percentage
- Fayetteville is a perfect 11-for-11 in penalty killing on the road.
Knoxville Ice Bears at Mississippi RiverKings
- First meeting between the teams this season. Knoxville won last year’s regular season series, 4-2-0.
- The Ice Bears swept the RiverKings in the best-of-three President’s Cup Final.
- Mississippi captain Leo Thomas is serving his second of a nine-game suspension.
- The RiverKings’ Mark Pustin has a three-game goal scoring streak.
- The Ice Bears lead the league in goals scored with 28.
Louisiana IceGators at Peoria Rivermen
- Fourth meeting between the teams this season. Peoria leads the series 3-0-0 with one game decided in overtime.
- Peoria winger Matt Summers is serving the first of a two-game suspension.
- IceGators defenseman Jordan Ciccarello has been called up to the ECHL Florida Everblades.
- Louisiana is a perfect 10-for-10 in penalty kills on the road, and Peoria is 0-for-13 with the man advantage at home.
- The Rivermen have a +6 goal differential in the first period.
Pensacola Ice Flyers at Huntsville Havoc
- First meeting between the teams this season. Pensacola won last season’s series, 6-1-0.
- Pensacola’s Corey Banfield is on a six-game point scoring streak.
- The Havoc lead the league in penalty minutes with 301.
- The Ice Flyers have the most power play goals scored with six.
- Huntsville defenseman Stuart Stefan is tied for the league lead in scoring among defensemen with seven points (1G, 6A)
- Fayetteville at Macon – 7:30 ET
- Columbus at Knoxville – 7:35 ET
- Louisiana at Peoria – 7:05 CT
- Pensacola at Huntsville – 7:30 CT
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey