Last Night’s Recaps
Huntsville Havoc (4-3-0) 6, Columbus Cottonmouths (0-4-3) 4
Columbus jumped out to a quick two-goal lead in the first period, but then the Nightmare on Monroe Street began for the Snakes as the Huntsville Havoc – clad in special Freddy Krueger jerseys – turned the tables and imposed their will on the still winless Cottonmouths. Tempers boiled over in the second period after Columbus winger Louis Belisle was ejected for a major elbowing penalty and Huntsville forward Jeremy Beirnes hit the showers early for unsportsmanlike conduct. Both teams would eventually combine for 119 penalty minutes last night, but it was the Havoc who had the upper hand on the scoreboard.
Knoxville Ice Bears (4-3-0) 6, Pensacola Ice Flyers (4-3-0) 4
Longtime Ice Bear David Segal made his return to the Knoxville Civic Coliseum as a Pensacola Ice Flyer last night. Segal would score a goal against his old teammates, but it was the Ice Bears who would have the last laugh. Knoxville scored four of the last five goals in the game as they powered their way past Pensacola. Josh Cousineau netted a pair of goals and Ben Power had two helpers in the Ice Bears Friday night victory.
Mississippi RiverKings (6-2-0) 5, Macon Mayhem (2-3-2), 2
The RiverKings bounced back from their loss in Pensacola and exploded for four goals in the second period. Mississippi netminder Matt Grogan would continue his dominance of the Macon Mayhem, making 23 saves on 25 shots in winning his third game against the Mayhem this season. Macon signed former Ice Bears forward Shawn Skelly, and he scored a goal and an assist for his new team.
Tonight’s Game Capsules
Title Belt Game – Fayetteville FireAntz at Louisiana IceGators
- First game between the teams this season. Louisiana won last year’s series 5-1-0.
- Fayetteville goaltender Sean Bonar is the current SPHL Easton Player of the Week. Bonar has started all four games for the FireAntz this season, with a 2.00 GAA and a .945 SV%
- IceGators center Jeremy Boyer is leading the team with five points (3G, 2A)
- The FireAntz have the league’s top power play with a 33.3% success rate. Louisiana has the league’s worst with one goal in 20 attempts.
Pensacola Ice Flyers at Macon Mayhem
- First ever game between the teams.
- Pensacola bounces back well. The Ice Flyers are 2-0 in games after losses.
- New Macon acquisition Shawn Skelly scored two points in his first game with the Mayhem. Skelly has seven points overall (3G, 4A)
- Ice Flyers winger Corey Banfield is leading the team in scoring with 8 points (1G, 7A)
Knoxville Ice Bears at Peoria Rivermen
- First game between the teams this season. The Rivermen dominated the series last season, taking ten of twelve games from the Ice Bears.
- Peoria Center Doug Reid is tied for the league lead in goals with six.
- Rivermen goalie Kyle Rank has a 2.26 GAA, good for fourth in the league.
- The Ice Bears are tied for the league lead in shorthanded goals with two.
- Fayetteville at Louisiana – 3:05 CT
- Columbus at Macon – 4:30 ET
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey