On Saturday, the Providence Bruins took on the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the final game of a home-and-home series between the two teams. The Bruins looked to avenge the loss that they suffered on home ice Friday night. Matthew Ginn got his first professional start for the Bruins, giving Zane McIntyre a night off. The baby Bruins were forced to play without Austin Czarnik who suffered an upper body injury in Friday night’s loss.

For the second time this weekend, the Bruins allowed the first goal of the game as Joe Whitney picked off the break out pass and was able to sneak it by Ginn for the game’s first goal. But just like Friday night, the Bruins were able to battle back. Brandon DeFazio scored against his old team off of a feed from Noel Acciari. The physical play continued through the rest of the first period, but both teams were unable to find the go-ahead goal. They went into the locker rooms tied 1-1, with the shots 13 to 8 in favor of the Providence Bruins.

The second period started much of the same way. Both teams continued to trade chances and couldn’t get anything through the neutral zone. Neither team could get much going through the early part of the period and failed to even register double-digit shots (which happened on Friday). Justin Vaive had a pair of interference minors, but the Bruins failed on consecutive power plays. It was the first time in a week that the Bruins failed to capitalize on consecutive power plays. Neither squad could finish any of the quality scoring chances that were handed to them, and they both went back to the locker room tied 1-1. The shots were seven to seven in the period, with the two period total: Providence 20 and the Sound Tigers 15.

Both teams needed to find the back of the net in the third period in order to win the game. The Bridgeport Sound Tigers struck just 5:07 into the period as Ryan Pulock put a slap shot by Ginn assisted by Bracken Kearns and Joe Whitney. The game started to get more out of hand as tensions came to a boil with a Justin Hickman against Justin Vaive fight. Hickman was able to win the battle of the Justins after pinning Vaive on the ice. The baby Bruins continued to get scoring chances but just like on Friday they failed to capitalize on any of their chances. But at 19:12 of the third, the Bruins were out back on the power play after Kirill Petrov went off with an elbowing minor. The Bruins pulled Ginn to give them a 6 on 4 advantage. They were able to generate a few quality chances. But for the second night in row Adam Pelech scored the empty netter for the Sound Tigers. That made the game 3-1 and would seal the victory for Bridgeport, sweeping the baby Bruins in the weekend series.

The three stars of the game were dominated by the Bridgeport Sound Tigers after their weekend sweep. Third star Stephon Williams, after coming in on Friday night after Gibson was injured, only allowed one goal in the game and helped keep the Sound Tigers perfect. Second star Joe Whitney had a goal and an assist on the game-winner for the Sound Tigers. First star Ryan Pulock had the decisive goal for the Sound Tigers and helped them put the wraps on the sweep.

Providence opens a home-and-home series with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Friday at the Dunkin Donuts Center starting 7:05pm ET.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey