READING, PA – The Reading Royals (13-8-1-1) dominated the Indy Fuel (8-11-1-1) 8-2 in their first of two meetings this season. The Royals extended their win streak to six games and are unbeaten in the last seven games (6-0-1-0).

The Fuel started the game off hot when Alex Wideman snuck the opening goal past Mark Dekanich just 2:22 into the game. The Royals did a good job not letting the Fuel run away with the game early on. Both teams had chances in their respective offensive zones in a very back-and-forth beginning to the period.

The momentum finally shifted towards the Royals when Kevin Lynch committed a slashing penalty, giving Reading their first power play of the game. Michael Boivin blasted a shot from the point but it was Ryan Penny who sent the puck home to tie the game 1-1.

Reading looked to try and add to the momentum but the Fuel answered just 2:08 after to regain the lead. Indy’s Nick Mattson muscled his way to the front of the net and buried his first goal of the season to give the Fuel a 2-1 lead.

Then things got interesting. The Royals took complete control of the game just 4:32 later, scoring three goals in the span of 1:32. Chris McCarthy opened up the rally from the right slot to tie the game at two and gave his team some real momentum. Florian Iberer was not far behind, scoring just 35 seconds later to give the Royals’ their first lead of the night. Derik Johnson capped off the scoring run thanks to a delayed penalty, giving the Royals a quick 4-2 lead.

Despite the three goal run, the second period saw a lot of back-and-forth action. Both teams seemed to be able to set up in the offensive zone for a good couple of shots on goal. The Royals somehow got the upper-hand very late into the period when Matt Willows beat the buzzer and scored with less than a second left.

The late goal from Willows seemed to be the tide turner as the Royals controlled the third period. The Royals added three more goals and registered fourteen shots-on-goal compared to Indy’s four. Tyler Goulbourne opened up the scoring in third knocking home a loose puck at the 12:11 mark. Mike Pereira notched the second of the period with a point-blank wrister 3:29 later, extending the Royals’ lead to 7-2. McCarthy wasn’t finished as he scored the Royals’ eighth goal of the night and his second of the night with just 54 seconds left in the game.

The Royals and Fuel are back at it again tonight as the Royals host their Teddy Bear Toss at 7:05 PM EST.

Three Stars of the Game

3 – Michael Boivin (2 assists)

2 – Mark Dekanich (29 saves on 31 shots)

1 – Chris McCarthy (2 goals, 2 assists)

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!