After five cracks at the can and getting waxed by the Toledo Walleye, the Florida Everblades finally punched their ticket to the Kelly Cup Playoffs Saturday night, thanks to a Cincinnati Cyclones loss to Fort Wayne.
Here is a look at the playoff field as it stands heading into action on Sunday:
- Florida’s magic number for clinching the South Division title remains at 4 (Greenville).
- Positions 2-5 in the South remain separated by four points. Here is a look at the standings, the games remaining and schedule for the weekend for the teams involved:
|TEAM||RECORD||GAMES REMAINING||UP NEXT|
|2||Greenville Swamp Rabbits||36-25-4-1 (77 pts)||6 (4H, 2A)||@SC Tue|
|3||South Carolina Stingrays||36-26-3-1 (75 pts)||7 (6H, 1A)||Hm v. INDY Sun|
|4||Orlando Solar Bears||33-23-6-3 (75 pts)||7 (2H, 5A)||@BRM Sun|
|5||Cincinnati Cyclones||35-27-4-0 (74 pts)||6 (3H, 3A)||Hm v. BRM Wed|
- Greenville & South Carolina have the schedule advantage, with most of their remaining schedule (5 games & 7 games respectively) played at home.
- Orlando plays Florida three more times the rest of the season. The Solar Bears have a 3-7-1-0 record against the Everblades this season.
- Cincinnati plays just three games (at Greenville & at SC) in the south division the rest of the year.
- Four teams are separated by two points. The Wheeling Nailers sit seven points behind Reading for the fourth and final playoff spot and are getting close to being eliminated.
|TEAM||RECORD||GAMES REMAINING||UP NEXT|
|1||Adirondack Thunder||35-20-7-4 (81 pts)||6 (4H, 2A)||Hm v. ORL Tue|
|2||Brampton Beast||36-21-3-5 (80 pts)||7 (4H, 3A)||Hm v. ORL Sun|
|3||Reading Royals||37-24-3-2 (79 pts)||6 (3H, 3A)||Hm v. NOR Fri|
|4||Manchester Monarchs||34-21-7-4 (79 pts)||6 (2H, 4A)||@ELM Sun|
|5||Wheeling Nailers||32-27-8-0 (72 pts)||5 (3H, 2A)||Hm v. BRM Fri|
- Adirondack’s magic number to clinch a playoff berth is 1, they will clinch a playoff berth with a win Tuesday night against Orlando.
- Brampton’s magic number to clinch their first-ever Kelly Cup playoff berth is 2.
- Reading’s magic number to clinch a playoff berth is 4.
- Manchester’s magic number currently stands at 4.
- Norfolk, Elmira, and Atlanta have been eliminated from playoff contention.
- Colorado, Allen, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Quad City and Kalamazoo have all clinched playoff berths.
- Toledo’s magic number for clinching the Central Division title is 5 (Fort Wayne).
- Wichita, Tulsa, and Indy have been eliminated from playoff contention
- Colorado’s magic number for clinching their second straight division title is 9 (Allen). The Americans are three points back of the Eagles in the race for the division title.
- If Allen doesn’t take the division, they appear to be destined for the second seed in the Mountain Division, their magic number for clinching the #2 seed is 3.
- Idaho’s magic number for clinching a playoff berth sits at 1. They can clinch a playoff berth with a Alaska aces loss in regulation this afternoon or the next time they win a game which could come Wednesday night
- Missouri beat Wichita last night, while Rapid City beat Alaska. The teams are in a dead heat points-wise for the final playoff position, with the edge going to the Aces, who have one more ROW (non-shootout win) than the Mavericks. The Aces take on the Rapid City Rush for the final time ever this afternoon.
- Rapid City will be eliminated from playoff contention with Alaska or Missouri’s next point.
Here is how the bracket shakes out if the playoffs started today. Teams who have clinched berths are represented by an “X” next to their seeding.
The Race for the Brabham Cup:
The race for the ECHL regular season championship is tight between the Colorado Eagles and Toledo Walleye. Here is a look at the standings entering action on Saturday:
|Toledo Walleye||49-14-2-1 (99 pts)||7 (6H, 3A)|
|Colorado Eagles||45-17-2-3 (95 pts)||5 (0H, 5A)|
|Allen Americans||43-17-4-2 (92 pts)||6 (4H, 2A)|
|Florida Everblades||41-19-2-3 (87 pts)||7 (4H, 3A)|
The importance of winning the Brabham Cup is that it gives the winner home-ice advantage throughout every round of the playoffs for as long as they are in.
Stay with thesinbin.net as we keep track of all the playoff races across the ECHL!