The 16-team field for the Kelly Cup playoffs grew by one last night, with Kalamazoo punching their ticket with a 5-3 win over the hapless Norfolk Admirals.
Maybe tonight will be the night we finally get our first Eastern Conference entrant into the field.
Let’s get into it!
- The Florida Everblades can become the first Eastern Conference team to clinch a playoff berth with a win, loss in OT or shootout or if Cincinnati loses to Fort Wayne.
- Florida’s magic number for clinching the South Division title is 4 (Greenville).
- Positions 2-5 in the South remain separated by four points. Here is a look at the standings, the games remaining and schedule for the weekend for the teams involved:
|TEAM||RECORD||GAMES REMAINING||THIS WEEKEND|
|2||Greenville Swamp Rabbits||36-24-4-1 (77 pts)||7 (5H, 2A)||Hm v. INDY Sat|
|3||Orlando Solar Bears||33-23-6-3 (75 pts)||7 (2H, 5A)||@BRM Sun|
|4||Cincinnati Cyclones||35-26-4-0 (74 pts)||7 (3H, 4A)||@FW Sat|
|5||South Carolina Stingrays||35-26-3-1 (73 pts)||8 (7H, 1A)||Hm v. ATL Sat, Hm v. INDY Sun|
- Greenville & South Carolina have the schedule advantage, with most of their remaining schedule (5 games & 7 games respectively) played at home.
- Orlando plays Florida three more times the rest of the season. The Solar Bears have a 3-7-1-0 record against the Everblades this season.
- Cincinnati plays just two games (at Greenville) in the south division the rest of the year.
- Four teams are separated by three points. The Wheeling Nailers sit four points behind Reading for the fourth and final playoff spot.
|TEAM||RECORD||GAMES REMAINING||THIS WEEKEND|
|1||Brampton Beast||36-21-3-5 (80 pts)||7 (4H, 3A)||Hm v. ORL Sun|
|2||Adirondack Thunder||35-20-6-4 (80 pts)||7 (4H, 3A)||@REA Sat|
|3||Reading Royals||36-24-3-2 (77 pts)||7 (4H, 3A)||Hm v. ADK Sat|
|4||Manchester Monarchs||33-21-7-4 (77 pts)||7 (2H, 5A)||@ELM Sat, Sun|
|5||Wheeling Nailers||32-23-8-0 (72 pts)||6 (4H, 2A)||Hm v. IDA Sat|
- Wheeling blew a huge opportunity to narrow the gap between fifth and fourth last night, giving up a late third period goal to the Idaho Steelheads.
- Brampton’s magic number to clinch their first-ever Kelly Cup playoff berth is 4.
- Adirondack’s magic number to clinch a playoff berth is 4.
- Reading’s magic number to clinch a playoff berth is 7.
- Manchester’s magic number currently stands at 7.
- Norfolk, Elmira, and Atlanta have been eliminated from playoff contention.
- Colorado, Allen, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Quad City and Kalamazoo have all clinched playoff berths.
- Toledo’s magic number for clinching the Central Division title is 5 (Fort Wayne).
- Wichita, Tulsa, and Indy have been eliminated from playoff contention
- Colorado’s magic number for clinching their second straight division title is 9 (Allen).
- Allen now appears to be destined for the second seed in the Mountain Division, their magic number for clinching the #2 seed is 5.
- Idaho’s magic number for clinching a playoff berth sits at 3. The Steelheads can clinch a playoff berth tonight with a win & a regulation loss by the Missouri Mavericks.
- Missouri beat Wichita last night, while Rapid City beat Alaska. That means the spread between the Mavs & Aces is down to two points. Same two matchups will happen tonight.
- Rapid City will be eliminated from playoff contention with Alaska’s next point.
Here is how the bracket shakes out if the playoffs started today. Teams who have clinched berths are represented by an “X” next to their seeding.
The Race for the Brabham Cup:
The race for the ECHL regular season championship is tight between the Colorado Eagles and Toledo Walleye. Here is a look at the standings entering action on Saturday:
|Toledo Walleye||47-14-2-1 (97 pts)||8 (5H, 3A)|
|Colorado Eagles||45-16-2-3 (95 pts)||6 (1H, 5A)|
|Allen Americans||42-17-4-2 (90 pts)||7 (5H, 2A)|
|Florida Everblades||41-18-2-3 (87 pts)||8 (4H, 4A)|
The importance of winning the Brabham Cup is that it gives the winner home-ice advantage throughout every round of the playoffs for as long as they are in.
Looking back to 2006-07, the winners of the Brabham Cup have gone on to win the Kelly Cup three times.
|2006-07||Las Vegas Wranglers||Lost in Conference Semis to Idaho|
|2007-08||Cincinnati Cyclones||WON KELLY CUP|
|2008-09||Florida Everblades||Lost in South Division Finals to SC|
|2009-10||Idaho Steelheads||Lost in Kelly Cup Finals to Cincinnati|
|2010-11||Alaska Aces||WON KELLY CUP|
|2011-12||Alaska Aces||Lost in Conference Finals to Las Vegas|
|2012-13||Alaska Aces||Lost in Conference Semis to Stockton|
|2013-14||Alaska Aces||WON KELLY CUP|
|2014-15||Toledo Walleye||Lost in Conference Finals to SC|
|2015-16||Missouri Mavericks||Lost in Conference Semis to Allen|
Stay with thesinbin.net as we update you on all the playoff races across minor pro hockey!
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey