Last night, there was a change at the top in Mountain division, with the Allen Americans moving past the Colorado Eagles. Meanwhile, Alaska, Utah, and Missouri all remain in a dogfight for the final playoff spot in the division — just a separation of two points among the three teams with two weekends to go in the regular season.
Tonight, two more Eastern Conference teams could punch their ticket to the playoffs, while the Toledo Walleye could move one game closer to clinching their second Brabham Cup title (fourth overall for Toledo hockey).
Let’s get into our breakdowns:
- The Brampton Beast could make team history tonight, clinching their first-ever Kelly Cup playoff berth. They would need to win or lose in an overtime/shootout to the Wheeling Nailers.
- The Reading Royals can join the party with a win and a Wheeling loss.
- At the bottom of the playoff picture, Wheeling is barely hanging on to playoff contention — sitting seven points behind Manchester.
|TEAM||RECORD||GAMES REMAINING||UP NEXT|
|x-1||Adirondack Thunder||36-20-7-4 (83 pts)||5 (3H, 2A)||Hm v. ELM Fri|
|2||Brampton Beast||37-22-3-5 (82 pts)||5 (3H, 2A)||@WHL Fri|
|3||Reading Royals||37-24-3-2 (79 pts)||6 (3H, 3A)||Hm v. NOR Fri|
|4||Manchester Monarchs||34-22-7-4 (79 pts)||5 (2H, 3A)||Hm v. ELM Sat|
|5||Wheeling Nailers||32-27-8-0 (72 pts)||5 (3H, 2A)||Hm v. BRM Fri|
- Manchester’s magic number currently stands at 4.
- Wheeling’s tragic number is 4.
- The Everblades have clinched the South Division and top seed for the Eastern Conference playoffs
- Greenville can punch their ticket to the playoffs with a win against Atlanta and a loss by Cincinnati OR an overtime/shootout loss to Atlanta and if Cincinnati loses in regulation.
- Positions 2-5 in the South are separated by seven points. Here is a look at the standings, ROW wins, the games remaining and next games for the teams involved:
|TEAM||RECORD||ROW||GAMES REMAINING||UP NEXT|
|2||Greenville Swamp Rabbits||38-25-4-1 (81 pts)||36||4 (2H, 2A)||Hm v. ATL Fri|
|3||Orlando Solar Bears||34-24-6-3 (77 pts)||31||5 (2H, 3A)||@SC Fri|
|4||South Carolina Stingrays||36-27-3-1 (76 pts)||35||5 (4H, 1A)||Hm v. ORL Fri|
|5||Cincinnati Cyclones||35-28-4-0 (74 pts)||31||5 (2H, 3A)||Hm v. FTW Fri|
- Orlando’s magic number to clinch a playoff berth is 7.
- South Carolina’s magic number to clinch a playoff berth is 8.
- Norfolk, Elmira, and Atlanta have been eliminated from playoff contention.
- Colorado, Allen, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Quad City and Kalamazoo have all clinched playoff berths.
- Wichita, Tulsa, Indy and Rapid City have been eliminated from playoff contention
- Toledo can clinch the Central Division title with a win, overtime/shootout loss or a Fort Wayne loss to Cincinnati.
- Fort Wayne’s magic number for clinching the #2 seed is 4 (Quad City). They will clinch at least a top-2 seed in the divisional rounds with a win & a Quad City loss in regulation.
- Quad City’s magic number for clinching the #3 seed is 2 (Kalamazoo). They will clinch at least a top-3 seed with a win in regulation & a loss in regulation by the Kalamazoo Wings.
- With Allen’s 6-4 win over Missouri Thursday night, the Americans are now unbeaten in their last 12 games and have the lead in the Mountain division. Their magic number to clinch the division title is at 7. The win last night also guaranteed Allen at least a top-2 seed & home-ice in the first round of the playoffs.
- Colorado will also clinch a top-2 seed in the divisional rounds with their next standings point.
Here is a look at the top of the Mountain Division standings; the games remaining, upcoming schedule & the team’s ROW (non-shootout wins) and goal differential totals (first two ECHL tiebreakers):
|TEAM||RECORD||ROW||GOAL DIFF||GAMES LEFT||UP NEXT|
|1||Allen Americans||45-17-4-2 (96 pts)||43||+80||4 (2H, 2A)||Hm v. TUL Fri|
|2||Colorado Eagles||45-18-2-3 (95 pts)||43||+61||4 (0H, 4A)||@IDA Fri|
- Idaho has clinched their 20th straight playoff berth. They will get the #3 seed with their next standings point.
- Alaska has a one point lead on Utah and a two-point lead on the Missouri Mavericks.
Here is a look at the standings, the games remaining, upcoming schedule & the team’s ROW (non-shootout wins) and goal differential totals (first two ECHL tiebreakers):
|TEAM||RECORD||ROW||GOAL DIFF||GAMES LEFT||UP NEXT|
|4||Alaska Aces||31-26-3-7 (72 pts)||30||-6||5 (3H, 2A)||@QDC Fri|
|5||Utah Grizzlies||32-28-5-2 (71 pts)||29||-22||5 (3H, 2A)||@RPD Fri|
|6||Missouri Mavericks||31-28-3-5 (70 pts)||28||-10||5 (1H, 4A)||@WIC Sat|
Here is how the bracket shakes out if the playoffs started today. Teams who have clinched berths are represented by an “X” next to their seeding. “Y” represents a division champion:
The Race for the Brabham Cup:
Entering Friday’s action, the Walleye’s magic number for clinching the regular season title is 4. Here is a look at the standings entering action on Friday:
|Toledo Walleye||48-14-2-1 (100 pts)||6 (3H, 3A)|
|Allen Americans||45-17-4-2 (96 pts)||4 (2H, 2A)|
|Colorado Eagles||45-17-2-3 (95 pts)||4 (0H, 4A)|
The importance of winning the Brabham Cup is that it gives the winner home-ice advantage throughout every round of the playoffs for as long as they are in.
Stay with thesinbin.net as we continue to break down the race for the 2017 Kelly Cup Playoffs!