The Providence Bruins took on the Hartford Wolf Pack in Connecticut looking to build off of their win at home the night before. Zane McIntyre got the start in net for the Providence Bruins giving Malcolm Subban the night off. McIntyre was opposed by Mangus Hellberg in net for the Hartford Wolf Pack.

The first period started out rough for both teams, it was a feeling out process from the opening face off. Just five minutes into the first period it was Friday night’s hero, Anton Blidh, putting home the Tommy Cross rebound. Chris Casto was also given an assist on the play. The Bruins were able to control the play in the Wolf Pack’s zone. But with about five minutes left in the period it was Ryan Bourque tying the game assisted by Travis Oleksuk and Chris McCarthy. The period ended and the teams took the tie back into the locker room, the shots were 5 to 2 in favor of the Providence Bruins.

The second period was a different story both teams seemed comfortable right off the opening draw. The intensity had picked up on both sides and they started to trade offensive zone chances. Tommy Hughes got a boarding penalty early in the period and put the Providence power play on the ice. The Bruins possess one of the best power plays in the league, but struggled to convert on seven chances on Friday. They were unable to convert again only their only power play chance of the game. The second period ended without a score and both teams went into the locker room tied 1-1, with the shots 12-12.

The third period started out the same way for both teams trading chances early and battling hard through the neutral zone. The Wolf Pack went back on the power play when Tommy Cross was accessed a two minute minor for tripping. After a nerve racking two minutes Cross re-entered the game and they remained tied. That is how they would finish the period tied 1-1 heading to overtime, the shots were 23 to 16 in favor of the Hartford Wolf Pack.

The Hartford Wolf Pack won the draw in overtime and took it down into the Providence Bruins end. As the Bruins tried to break it out the pass was picked off by former Penguin Brian Gibbons and buried it past McIntyre for the game winner. The entire overtime lasted just 21 seconds with the Bruins losing 2-1 to the Wolfpack.

The three stars of the game all contributed to their teams scoring. Third star Anton Blidh, Friday night’s hero added his third goal of the season against the Wolf Pack. Second star Ryan Bourque, he started the scoring for the Wolf Pack and tied the game up early in the first period. First star Brian Gibbons, who scored the game winner for the Wolf Pack and helped them pick up their sixth win of the season.

The Bruins will look to bounce back when the take on the Springfield Falcons on Sunday at the Dunkin Donuts Center.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!