PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Friday night, the Providence Bruins looked to keep their good home vibes going. Heading into the game against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the P-Bruins won seven straight on home ice.  Malcolm Subban got the start in net for the Bruins opposed by Christopher Gibson for the Sound Tigers.

The first period started out with the Sound Tigers taking it straight to Bruins. Taylor Beck scored for the Sound Tigers assisted by Carter Verhaeghe and Bracken Kearns.

The Bruins were able to take back the momentum right away as they set up in the Sound Tigers end and started to pepper Gibson. Colton Hargrove and Anton Blidh connected for the P-Bruins first goal of the game. Hargrove skated over the blue line and dished the puck to Blidh whose wrister went low glove side on Gibson to tie the game 5:37 into the first. The Bruins scored again two minutes later, this time off the stick of Justin Hickman for his first professional goal. Assists on Hickman’s landmark goal went to Matt Irwin and Anthony Camara. Both teams went back and forth continuing to battle trying to find another goal. But Gibson and Subban came up huge for their respective teams to keep the score the same. The first period ended with the Bruins leading 2-1 and the shots 13 to 12 in favor for the Bruins.

The Bruins came back out for the second period looking to gain some separation for the Sound Tigers, but there was more of the same as the two teams battled back and forth looking to find some sort of edge. Patrick Cullity put the Bruins on the power play when he went off with a double minor for high sticking. The Bruins were able to capitalize on the power play off the stick of Zack Phillips, assisted by Tommy Cross and Ben Youds. The Sound Tigers struck back just over a minute later, Justin Florek scored assisted by Loic Leduc and Kevin Czuczman. They continued to trade chances, but neither team could solve the other goalie. The second period ended with the Bruins leading 3-2 and the shots 22 to 20 for the Bruins.

The Bruins came back looking to add to their lead and secure the victory. They continued to trade chances, but the score stayed the same. Phillips went off for interference giving the Sound Tigers a power play opportunity. As the Sound Tigers were trying to break the puck, Blidh picked off the clearing pass and slipped it past Gibson for his second goal of the night.

The Sound Tigers narrowed the lead to 5-3 when Jared Jones slipped one past Subban assisted by Colin Markison. Minutes later, Bridgeport cut the Bruins led to one as Jones scored again assisted by Markison and Ryan Pulock. The Sound Tigers continued to push the Bruins, but Subban came up huge for the Bruins when they need him most. They were able to hold the Sound Tigers off hanging onto the 5-4 win, with the final shots 30 to 27 for the Bruins.

Third star Matt Irwin, collected two assists for the Bruins and played some great defense in front of Subban. Second star Jared Gomes, scored a pair of goals in helping the Sound Tigers attempt a come back. First star Anton Blidh also scored two goals in the game to help the Bruins to victory.

The Bruins will travel to Springfield to take on the Falcons tonight.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!