PROVIDENCE, RI – Derrick Pouliot scored the game-winning goal 7:49 into overtime as the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins defeated the Providence Bruins 6-5 before a crowd of 3,922 at the Dunkin Donuts Center. The Penguins have now made the series even at 1-1 and the series will now shift to Wilkes-Barre on Thursday and Friday for games three and four of the Atlantic Division Semifinal.

After a scoreless first period, the second period featured a combined six goals from both teams. David Warsofsky scored the first two goals for the Penguins. His first one came on the power play at 1:58. Warsofsky scored his second goal of the game 23 seconds later as he sent in a slapshot with help from a Kevin Porter faceoff win to make it 2-0.

Tom Sestito made it 3-0 for the Penguins.  After Sestito’s goal, he received a roughing a minor along with Tyler Randall from the Bruins.

The Bruins got on the scoreboard almost halfway through the second period. Matt Grzelcyk set up Alex Grant. Grant took a slapshot that deflected off of Chris Porter for his first two goals to make it 3-1. Porter came in on an odd-man rush as he put it past Penguins goaltender Casey DeSmith to make it 3-2.

Tommy Cross tied the game for the Bruins a little over a minute of Porter’s second goal of the game. Cross put a wrist shot past DeSmith to tie the game at 3-3 after two periods of play.

Josh Archibald retook the lead for the Penguins almost four minutes into the third period. Garrett Wilson had the puck behind the net and found Archibald. Archibald put it past Bruins goaltender Zane McIntyre to make it 4-3.

Wayne Simpson found Tommy Cross going to the attacking zone. Cross sent a pass to Danton Heinen. Heinen sent in a wrist shot that went through DeSmith to tie the game at 4-4.

Peter Mueller gave the Bruins the lead with 7:12 left in regulation. Peter Cehlarik found Tommy Cross and Cross fired a wrist shot and Mueller put in the rebound to make it at 5-4. Minutes later, Josh Archibald tied the game with 1:03 left in regulation as there was traffic in the net and he found the puck in the crease and put it home to tie it at 5-5.

Derrick Pouliot would settle the game 7:49 into the first overtime, receiving a pass from Kevin Porter to put it past McIntyre.

Bruins goaltender Zane McIntyre made 38 saves in the overtime loss. DeSmith made 28 saves in the win.

The series heads to Wilkes-Barre for game three on Thursday night. The puck will drop at 7:00 P.M.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!