INDIANAPOLIS – The Indy Fuel announced they have agreed to terms with defenseman Zach Miskovic for the 2016-17 season. The 2015-16 Indy Fuel captain will return to the team as a player/assistant coach.
Miskovic returns to the Fuel after earning 22 points (9g, 13) in 63 games. The 22 points were the most points he has tallied since his rookie season with the AHL’s Hershey Bears where he notched 26 points (6g, 20a) in 59 games for the Bears. The 31 year-old led all Indy Fuel defensemen last season with 11 power play points.
“We are extremely excited to have Zach back with us for a second year, he brings a lot to the team both on and off the ice,” said Fuel Head Coach and VP of Hockey Operations Bernie John said in a team release. “On the ice, he can play in any situation and is a great calming force for our young guys on the back end. He plays like an AHL player at our level and makes his teammates step up their games. Zach is a great leader in the room and will be an asset to our young players’ development both on and off the ice.”
In eight professional seasons Miskovic has earned 83 points (22g, 61a) in 287 career AHL games with several teams including the Charlotte Checkers, Rockford IceHogs, Iowa Wild, San Antonio Rampage, Chicago Wolves, and Hershey Bears, where he won the Calder Cup in 2010. He finished the 2015-16 season with the Charlotte Checkers on a Professional Tryout Contract (PTO). There, he picked up four assists in seven games for the Carolina Hurricanes affiliate.
The native of River Forest, Ill. was named captain of the Indy Fuel prior to the 2015-16 season and was a strong veteran presence in the locker room. He was named a finalist for the 2015-16 ECHL Community Service Award for his active work around Indianapolis. Prior to coming to Indy, Miskovic served as the IceHogs’ alternate captain in 2014-15, winning Rockford’s IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year Award.
In addition to his on-ice role, Miskovic will be joining the Fuel coaching staff during the 2016-17 season as a player/assistant coach.
“I’ll be learning a little bit more about the coaching side from John and Assistant Coach Jan Jas,” said Miskovic in the team release. “Helping out where I can on the back end. Obviously Bernie is an experienced defenseman and has a lot of things that he would like to implement, and I’ll be there to help those guys in any way I can.”
With the signing of Miskovic, the Fuel now have 10 players under contract for 2016-17, consisting of six forwards, two defensemen, and two goaltenders.
2016-17 PRESEASON ROSTER
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R.
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, Alaska). Age: 28. Shoots: R.
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, NY). Age: 23. Shoots: L.
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, Mass). Age: 25. Shoots: L.
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, MI). Age: 25. Shoots: R.
- (R) Anthony Beauregard (5-7, 159, St. Hyacinthe, PQ). Age: 20. Shoots: R.
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, ONT). Age: 26. Shoots: R.
- Zach Miskovic (6′, 197, River Forest, IL). Age: 31. Shoots: R.
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.). Age: 25.
- Terry Shafer (The 6-2, 190, Rochester, N.Y.). Age: 25.