INDEPENDENCE, MO — One night after a comeback 5-4 shootout victory, the Quad City Mallards lost in a reversal of fortunes against the Missouri Mavericks. The three-game series between the two teams is now two-thirds of the way over after two empty net goals were scored in the final two minutes of the game.

Pavel Jenys opened the scoring 4:21 into the first period, with Chris Francis and Michael Parks earning apples on the tally. Three minutes later Jack Nevins and Tyler Elbrecht dropped their gloves in front of Josh Robinson. Nevins got the upper hand in that bout, though the home team player had been surprised by the altercation.

Darren Nowick tied the game just a few minutes later, Andrew Courtney and Carter Verhaeghe assisting. Another fight broke out – sort of – when Jacob Doty steamrolled C.J. MotteGuillaume Gelinas sprung to his goalie’s defense, but was quickly thrown to the ice after not getting a single punch in.

Five goals were scored in the final 20 minutes of play, breaking the deadlock after a scoreless middle frame. Verhaeghe capitalized on the Mavericks’ lone man advantage four minutes in after Jenys took a seat for slashing less than half a minute prior. Parks tied the game up five minutes later with help from Sam Warning and Gelinas. Warning made his return to the Mallards lineup Saturday after missing the previous four games due to an injury.

Dane Fox gave the home team the lead two minutes later, Dan Correale and Ryan Obuchowski assisting. The Mallards pulled Motte with roughly a minute and a half left, allowing Verhaeghe to score his second of the night on the unmanned net with 75 seconds remaining. The Mallards then pulled Motte again, Radoslav Illo scoring, also unassisted, with ten seconds left.

The Mallards only had 15 shots on goal the entire night.

The Mavericks and Mallards face off for the finale of this series, this afternoon at 4:05 in Independence.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!