It’s almost Christmas, and I haven’t done a mailbag all season.
What in the hell is my problem you may ask? That’s a good question, but let’s not open that can of worms.
Anyways…these are always a lot of fun to do, and thank you to those who submitted questions. All of the questions came in through Twitter, so you Facebook people need to step your games up.
Let’s get the show on the road. Here are your questions, and my best attempt to answer them without looking like an idiot:
Who overtakes the scoring duties now that Root has been recalled? (Derek via Twitter)
- With the news of Josh Holmstrom also getting the call to Bridgeport coming out on Thursday, the list of replacements for Root get shorter. The obvious choice would be Tyler Barnes, who has been a little overshadowed by Root early in the season, but his numbers are just as good. Although I don’t think you can point to one guy to shoulder the load. The Mavs have been good about getting scoring from all of their lines, and I fully expect that to continue.
You mentioned in your latest article that a timeshare in goal worries you. Who would you start regularly? (Max via Twitter)
- In case you haven’t noticed, I’m good at pointing out potential problems, not providing solutions. In all seriousness though, I don’t think anyone could answer that question right now. At some point, I think either Robinson or Milner will distance himself from the other. My comment was purely based on traditional thinking, by the way. Typically, teams that win championships rely heavily one on goalie in that postseason. The good problem to have is that Matvichuk hasn’t been forced into making a decision to this point. Both goalies are playing well, and if it ain’t broke…….
Will Reed Seckel fit in with our Mavs as fast as they skate and attack? (Bob via Twitter)
- Let’s hope so. In the Team Release, Coach Matvichuk was quoted as saying “Reed is going to add a lot of energy to our lineup,” so we’ll have to take his word for it. His numbers aren’t staggering, but we don’t need someone to come in and light up the score sheet. We need someone that can play big minutes and play to the system.
What do you think has caused such a turn around? (Sara via Twitter)
- I think it’s a combination of things. First, Matvichuk and Thiessen had a full off-season, unlike last year, to build their team. Secondly, the affiliation has been huge. Third, the players have completely bought into the system on both sides of the puck. It doesn’t hurt to have two of the best goalies in the league either.
If you could have any Mavs jersey from past or current players, whose would it be and why? (Sandy via Twitter)
- This is a tough one. My favorite players in Mavs history are as follows (in no specific order): Nick Sirota, Jared Lavender, Brandon Smith, Andrew Courtney, Sebastien Thinel, Eric Castonguay, Matt Stephenson, David Simoes, Chezy, Colt King, JSD, Trevor Kell, Mike Ramsay, and Charlie Effinger. So, one of those guys. How do you pick from that list? Impossible.
How much are you looking forward to the return of Jack Downing to Missouri? (SinBinCyclones via Twitter)
- Shut up Dakota.
Favorite game of the year so far? (Glenn via Twitter)
- I’d like to say the first win of the season, since I was in attendance in Anchorage for that win. To be honest, I’d have to say the 4-1 win over Allen. It’s been a long time since a Mavericks team dominated and frustrated an Allen team. It was quite impressive to watch.
If you could have any player from past teams back, who would it be and why? (Andrea via Twitter)
- I’ve thought about this one since it was submitted. This is a really tough one. Really, really, tough. I would have liked to see what Effinger could have done with a better supporting cast around him, but the Mavs are just fine in net right now. Eric Castonguay was on his way to breaking franchise records, but decided to head back overseas. If I had to pick one person, I’d pick Colt King. He was the perfect combination of size and skill. He was incredibly physical all over the ice. He was the ultimate enforcer, but could also put up 20+ goals per season. I don’t know if we’ll ever see another player like Colt King.
First Mailbag in the books. Now I need a nap.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey