For 14 more days, the Missouri Mavericks moniker will continue to exist. Starting on June 1st, the Kansas City Mavericks will be born. As preparations for the future are ongoing, a good place to start would be taking a look at the 2017-18 schedule for the newly dubbed Kansas City Mavericks.
The Mavericks will start their season visiting the Tulsa Oilers on Friday, October 13th. The home opening in Independence will be Saturday, October 28th against their rivals from just down Interstate 35, the Wichita Thunder.
Here are a few other notes on the Mavericks schedule:
Games by Day of Week:
|Sunday||8 (7 home, 1 away)|
|Tuesday||6 (5 home, 1 away)|
|Wednesday||10 (2 home, 8 away)|
|Friday||23 (9 home, 14 away)|
|Saturday||23 (12 home, 11 away)|
The schedule is definitely heavy with weekend games which is pretty much par for the course. 54 of the 72 games on the schedule fall on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. The nine home games could mean an increase in televised games for the Mavericks this season if the recent trend and partnership with KSMO-TV continues.
Games by Month:
|October||5 (1 home, 4 away)|
|November||15 (6 home, 9 away)|
|December||15 (7 home, 8 away)|
|January||10 (8 home, 2 away)|
|February||11 (8 home, 3 away)|
|March||13 (5 home, 8 away)|
|April||3 (1 home, 2 away)|
The Mavericks schedule will once again be front-loaded with road games, as 12 of their first 17 contests will be away from the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. However, that will flip-flop after the turn of the calendar, especially the stretch from January 19th to March 3rd in which 16 of their 19 games will be at home.
Games by Opponent:
|Wichita||9 (5 home, 4 away)|
|Allen||8 (4 home, 4 away)|
|Tulsa||8 (3 home, 5 away)|
|Fort Wayne||6 (2 home, 4 away)|
|Quad City||6 (4 home, 2 away)|
|Toledo||6 (3 home, 3 away)|
|Indy||5 (3 home, 2 away)|
|Kalamazoo||5 (3 home, 2 away)|
|Cincinnati||4 (2 home, 2 away)|
|Colorado||4 (3 home, 1 away)|
|Rapid City||3 (3 home)|
|Atlanta||2 (2 away)|
|Idaho||2 (2 away)|
|Utah||2 (2 away)|
Everyone, myself included, is curious to see what the new division alignment will be. The Mavs will play their familiar foes in Allen, Wichita, and Tulsa a total of 25 times however they also have a large number of games with Central Division opponents (28 not including Wichita and Tulsa) so it’s hard to tell from those numbers exactly what that alignment will look like.
– The Mavericks will take part in three different school day games this season ( October 25th at Kalamazoo, November 1st at Greenville, and November 14th at home versus Tulsa)
– The longest home stretch is eight games, which occurs twice: January 19th to February 3rd, as well as February 16th to March 3rd.
– The longest road trip is seven games and will take place December 19th to December 30th.
– The Mavericks will host the Tulsa Oilers for their Annual New Year’s Eve game.
– The Mavericks will need to be a strong road team, especially down the stretch as 10 of their last 16 regular season games are on the road.