MOLINE, IL- The Quad City Mallards played their third game in as many days tonight, losing 7-2 to the Kalamazoo Wings after two long bus trips Saturday.

The Wings began their scoring just 17 seconds into the game, and did not let up the rest of the 60 minutes. As a note of interest, all nine goals were scored in the same net. Three more would be scored by the Wings before the period would end.

With 1:33 left in the first period Alex Gudbranson slammed Anton Cederholm to the ice, setting off a four man scrum in the Mallards’ defensive zone. The referee and linesmen were able to separate Gudbranson and Cederholm, but did not separate Anthony Collins and Ben Wilson as they fought.

Brody Hoffman replaced Steve Michalek in net after the first intermission. Collins’ fight seemed to have sparked something in the tired Mallards, leading to two goals within three minutes.

The Mallards’ first goal of the night was shorthanded and scored by Kevin Henderson. Raphael Bussieres and Austin Coldwell assisted on Henderson’s tally. Kyle Follmer slipped the puck past Joel Martin as the goalie was on his back. Jake Baker and Bussieres assisted Follmer’s goal.

The third period proved to be just as bad as the first for the Mallards, three goals sliding past Hoffman. The first that Hoffman was unable to save was a shorthanded goal scored by Justin Taylor as he came out of the box after serving a roughing penalty. Wilson was still in the box after being called for cross-checking a minute after Taylor’s penalty began.

Hoffman cleared the puck over the glass at 7:10 of the final period, resulting in a powerplay for the Wings that they would capitalize on for their sixth goal of the night.

The game would be sealed by Justin Kovacs’ goal at 12:15 of the third period.

The Mallards next see action in Indy against the Fuel on Friday at 6:30 PM. The Mallards will not return to home ice until Wednesday, February 3; puck drop is at 6:30 that night.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here