MANCHESTER, NH – Thanks to a Peter MacArthur wraparound goal near the halfway point of overtime, the Adirondack Thunder with go back to the Glens Falls Civic Center up two games to none over the Manchester Monarchs. In addition to the game-winner, the Thunder captain added an assist on the Thunder’s second goal of the game.

However, there Monarchs are the ones off the quick start, as Maxim Kitsyn scored just 1:02 into the game with assists going to Joe Diamond and Alex Roach. After a five minute period of no shots, the Thunder jumped on the Monarchs, resulting in a Michael Kirkpatrick goal after Greg Wolfe stick handled through the Monarchs defense to lay a pass over to the waiting Kirkpatrick. Two and a half minutes later, Joe Faust’s shot hit the post and dropped to Mitchell Heard, who put the puck into a yawning net to make it 2-1 Thunder at the end of one.

Much like the first game, the second period of the second game was a defensive struggle with only nine shots recorded between the teams. The Thunder held the Monarchs to only one shot in the first 15 minutes of the period.

The third period started with some chippiness with Danick Paquette hitting Adirondack’s Patch Alber from behind which resulted in a five-minute major and game misconduct for Paquette. However, the Monarchs killed the major and gained momentum. Much like the first game, Manchester were able to pot two quick goals during the third period, but this time it put their team ahead. First, Zac Larraza was able to gather his own blocked shot and put it past Ken Appleby to tie the game. One minute and thirteen seconds later, Troy Power put away his own rebound to put the Monarchs ahead with 9:55 left to play in regulation.

That was more than enough time as the Thunder pushed for the equalizer, but Doug Carr was equal to the task. Though, with 5:49 left in the third, Kirkpatrick won an offensive zone faceoff right to Wolfe, who put a wrister past the glove of Carr to tie the game. Despite chances from both sides, the teams went back into the locker rooms to prepare for the overtime.

In the overtime period, the Monarchs and Thunder played keep away from each other as the Thunder were able to get more scoring chances in the extra frame. That point was nailed down when MacArthur picked the puck up in the neutral zone, taking it down the left side before diving behind the net and tucking away a textbook wraparound to win the game 9:40 into the period. The win put the Thunder’s record to 32-0-2 when leading after two periods.

“It’s really big, but it doesn’t mean anything if we don’t win tomorrow,” said MacArthur post game. “This is over. We have to get on the bus and be ready for the biggest game of the series.”

“We didn’t play 60 minutes tonight, and when we don’t, we don’t get the results we are looking for,” said Manchester head coach Rich Seeley after the game. “We need to consistently do the little things that made us successful throughout the season, and when we do, I think we’ll like the results.”

There’s no rest for the weary, as Game Three will take place Saturday night in Glens Falls at 7:30 PM.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!