TUCSON, ARIZ – The Chicago Wolves dropped a close game in overtime 2-1 against the Tucson Roadrunners at Tucson Convention Center Friday night. Kasimir Kaskisuo made 26 saves and was almost single-handedly responsible for the point Chicago grabbed.

The first two periods of play saw two periods of stellar defense and goaltending. Kaskisuo turned away all 17 shots faced while the Roadrunners limited the Wolves to just 10 shots on Hunter Miska. Each team traded off chances on the power play, including a 5-on-3 opportunity by the Wolves, but neither was able to capitalize.

Brandon Pirri finally broke the game’s scoreless tie at 6:13 of the third period. His 18th goal of the season came off of a give-and-go by T.J. Tynan.

Though Chicago controlled the puck for the majority of the final seven minutes of play in regulation, Lawson Crouse spoiled Kaskisuo’s shutout bid with just 3:16 left on the clock. The left wing was left all alone and fired the crisp pass into the net to send the game into extra time.

Tucson all but gift-wrapped a win for the Wolves when Crouse took a hooking penalty only 35 seconds into overtime. While Chicago was able to generate numerous chances on the man advantage, their best cycle was disrupted when the referee blew the whistle for a dislodged net. Wolves’ head coach Rocky Thompson was not happy with the call, for since there was no player close to the net, Miska either knocked it off himself to disrupt play or the refs did not reset it during the previous whistle.

Dakota Mermis would break the hearts of Wolves fans everywhere with just six ticks left on the clock as he went top-shelf for the game winner.

The Wolves fell to 21-15-6-2 on the season with the overtime loss. These two teams rematch Saturday night in Tucson at 8 p.m. CST. As always, be sure to follow @SinBinWolves on Twitter for current news and game updates.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey