Why Join Team Sin Bin?
- We are the premier site for news in all levels of minor pro hockey
- Your work will be seen by a vast audience, with over 2.25 million authentic visits to our site in our first five-plus years
- We have a solid publishing platform and an app that’s available for download in the Google Play and Apple App stores
- Through relationships we’ve cultivated with members of the national media, you will be trained in developing a voice for your writing or an eye for picking up the perfect shot
Our work is viewed by an average of over 50,000 people per month. Included in this viewership are executives, coaches, players, scouts and hockey publications from all over minor pro hockey in North America and the world.
Benefits of Joining Team Sin Bin
“My time with The Sin Bin gave me the experience I needed when it came to covering a hockey team the right way. I learned how to ask the right questions in the post-game interview and how to develop my own writing style. The feedback and resources I received gave me the ability to attend games and get to know the Fuel organization on and off the ice.” – Mark Grainda, Media Relations Director for the ECHL’s Indy Fuel
The Sin Bin is the perfect place for college students or others who wish to enter the sports journalism field. With our organization, you will gain on-the-job training about how to work with teams, coaches, players; training on how to cultivate and bring content ideas to fruition, and more.
- You will be a part of a large and growing audience for your writing. Our work has been featured in Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, ESPN & Sports Illustrated
- You will be connected to our growing network of contacts across all levels of minor pro hockey
- You will have direct access to with our editorial staff & site admins to discuss any number of topics
The Sin Bin is looking for serious journalists who like posting often, as well as part-timers. Writers who produce upper-end work but only have time enough to post a few articles per month can also call The Sin Bin home.
This is a volunteer position, however, there is the opportunity to make a stipend with The Sin Bin. More information will be given after onboarding.
Essentials for Working With Team Sin Bin
“Because of The Sin Bin, I was able to further hone my journalistic and social media skills while also getting to cover marquee events. I was able to gain all the tools I needed to advance in my professional life and also gain some of my closest friends.” – Samantha Hoffmann, Social Media Coordinator for Bauer Hockey
We love to have fun here at The Sin Bin, after all…we’re covering the coolest sport on Earth! But, to do the job to the best of your abilities and preserve our good name, the ideal candidates for The Sin Bin should…
- Be professional at all times
- Have an excellent command of the English language, including AP style
- Able to accept criticism of your work from the editorial staff and grow from it
- Produce good work consistently. Writers are asked to publish four articles per month during the season and two per month during the offseason
- Come up with creative ways to tell the story of the team you cover, league, and minor league hockey
- Have a social media presence where you share your work, the work of your colleagues, plus engage with fans
Where Does Team Sin Bin Need Writers and/or Photographers?
Below is a current list of teams that need covering across minor pro hockey:
AHL: Bakersfield Condors, Belleville Senators, Binghamton Devils, Bridgeport Sound Tigers, Charlotte Checkers, Chicago Wolves, Grand Rapids Griffins, Hartford Wolf Pack, Hershey Bears, Laval Rocket, Lehigh Valley Phantoms, Manitoba Moose, Milwaukee Admirals, Ontario Reign, Providence Bruins, Rochester Americans, Rockford Ice Hogs, San Diego Gulls, San Jose Barracuda, Springfield Thunderbirds, Stockton Heat, Syracuse Crunch, Texas Stars, Tucson Roadrunners, Utica Comets, and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
ECHL: Atlanta Gladiators, Brampton Beast, Cincinnati Cyclones, Florida Everblades, Fort Wayne Komets, Greenville Swamp Rabbits, Idaho Steelheads, Jacksonville Icemen, Kalamazoo Wings, Kansas City Mavericks, Maine Mariners, Newfoundland Growlers, Norfolk Admirals, Orlando Solar Bears, Reading Royals, Toledo Walleye, Utah Grizzlies, and Worcester Railers
SPHL: Evansville Thunderbolts, Fayetteville Marksmen, Huntsville Havoc, Knoxville Ice Bears, Peoria Rivermen, Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
How do I Join Team Sin Bin?
If you’re 18 years and older, interested in writing and willing to devote the time covering any individual team in the ECHL, AHL, or SPHL, or any of those leagues as a whole, we may have a spot for you.
Please submit a writing sample to us (minimum 500 words) for review. This can be anything from a recap of a game, to a Q & A with a player, to an opinionated piece. Please be sure to include a few lines about yourself & your writing experience as part of your article (they can count toward the required length).
Submit the form below and someone will be in touch.