The Providence Bruins visited the Albany Devils on Tuesday night. Jeremy Smith made his season debut after Malcolm Subban was lost indefinitely when he fractured his larynx. Ken Appleby opposed Smith for the Devils. The Bruins controlled the puck early off of the opening draw. Just like on Friday night both teams were very evenly matched, the continued to trade chances back and forth, battling hard. Both defenses did their parts, and both goalies made big saves when needed. Jeremy Smith showed no signs of rust from playing with the Iowa Wild for the first half of the season. Smith picked up right where he left off from last season in Providence. Neither team could find anything in the first, as all the chances were either stuffed or redirected to the outside. Dan Kelly got called for delay of game as the first period was coming to a close, this set the Bruins up for a power play that would bleed over to the second. The first period ended with no score and shots on goal even at eight for each side.

The second period saw the Bruins pick right up where they left off on the power play. The Bruins were able to capitalize on a goal from Frank Vatrano, with Seth Griffith and Chris Casto getting the assists on the goal. That goal kept Vatrano extremely hot since coming back down. As the second period went on, the Bruins started to take over the game. Appleby was pounded with shots from all angles, but he was able to keep the puck and keep the score the same. Matt Irwin took a boarding penalty that gave the Devils a power play that they were able to capitalize on a goal from Mike Sislo, assisted by Brian O’Neil and Brandon Burlon. The Bruins took the lead back just over two minutes later as Justin Hickman found twine, assisted by Andrew Cherniwchan and Matt Irwin. The Bruins continued to take it to the Devils as the second period got into its final moments. The middle frame ended with the Bruins leading 2-1 on the scoreboard, as well as 25 to 19 in shots on goal.

The Bruins looked to add to their lead and push away as the third period got under way, but the Devils scored just a minute into the period, Sislo again assisted by Matt Lorito and Burlon. The Bruins continued to battle with the Devils trying to re-take their earlier lead. Smith was tested through the middle part of the third, after the Bruins defense coughed the puck up. Smith kept the baby Bruins in the game as their defense was breaking down and falling apart. The Devils continued to press and the Bruins defense continued to struggle, but back checking forwards made the difference. Late in the third, the Bruins started to get more and more chances on Appleby. Frank Vatrano broke through again to take the lead with just under four minutes left. Noel Acciari and Matt Irwin got the assists on what would be the game-winning goal. The Bruins were able to hang on for the 3-2 win with the final shots 32 to 27 for the Bruins.

Justin Hickman was named the third star of the game, as he scored the second goal of the game for the Bruins. Second star Mike Sislo scored both the goals for the Devils and almost led them to victory. The first star belonged to Frank Vatrano, notching two goals in the game including the game-winner. The Bruins will take on the Hershey Bears on Friday night at the Dunkin Donuts center.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!