LAFAYETTE, LA — We’ve been excited about Justin Bradford‘s appearance on the podcast ever since we booked him six weeks ago. The founder of Penalty Box Radio, Bradford transitioned from the bleachers to the Nashville Predators’ press box during the NHL lockout season of 2012-13 and has been gathering acclaim for his excellence in reporting and broadcasting ever since.
Penalty Box Radio has expanded from it’s humble roots to a network of podcasts, radio shows and game broadcasts covering all levels of junior, collegiate, and professional hockey – including our ECHL podcast, In the Corners.
In our 36th episode, recorded on December 12th, Bradford joins Mike Campos and Matt Harding as we depart from our usual SPHL reporting and talk about what it’s like to work in the big leagues.
- First, we talk about Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs coach Sam Ftorek‘s upcoming induction into the ECHL Hall of Fame.
- Harding gives his update on our upcoming trip to Indianapolis for the 2018 ECHL All-Star Classic.
- Yesterday, our humble little website received its one millionth view thanks to all of you awesome hockey fans.
- Remember David Leggio? The AHL goaltender who defused a breakaway by flipping the net over has taken his talents to Germany.
Afterwards, we put the show in Bradford’s hands, and he does not disappoint.
- Justin talks about moving from Michigan to Tennessee as a child, and his transition from a Red Wings fan to the Predators.
- Starting Penalty Box Radio while dealing with the 2012-13 NHL lockout and how it expanded his hockey horizons.
- What it’s like to cover an NHL game and describes the press area at Bridgestone Arena.
- Gives the inside story of what actually happened when the Vegas Golden Knights Twitter account accused the Nashville reporters “clapping” in the press area.
- We have an in-depth discussion on how the Predators’ success and Stanley Cup Final run has grown the game in Nashville and throughout all levels of hockey.
- Talks about the friendship and heartbreaking loss of his Penalty Box Radio co-host, Benjamin “Big Ben” Butzbach.
Follow Penalty Box Radio:
You can follow Justin on Twitter at https://www.twitter.com/justinbbradford
Next week on the podcast, we welcome Mississippi RiverKings broadcaster T.J. Chillot. Due to scheduling issues, our next episode will be on Thursday, December 21st at 8:00 pm CT.
You can catch future episodes of Inside the SPHL on our brand-new The Sin Bin app –available in the iTunes and Google Play stores — or through a variety of podcast sharing platforms. Click on your preferred platform on the right side of this page and be sure to subscribe!