INDIANAPOLIS, IN – The Indy Fuel announced they have signed wingers Alex Wideman and Raphaël Corriveau to ECHL contracts for the 2016-17 season. Wideman spent last season with the Evansville IceMen in 2015-16 while Corriveau will be starting his first professional season in North America.
In his rookie season with the IceMen, Wideman recorded 39 points (15g, 24a) in 58 games. Under an AHL contract with the Binghamton Senators, Wideman played in seven games for the Evansville affiliate.
“We’re excited to add Alex to our team. He is one of the speediest players in the league and that fits right in to the type of hockey we want to play,” said Fuel Head Coach and VP of Hockey Operations Bernie John in the team release. “He puts a lot of pressure on defenseman with his speed to create turnovers so we can have the puck more. He has really good offensive ability to put the puck in the net and make some creative hockey plays. We expect Alex to put up good offensive numbers for our team.”
Prior to his professional career, Wideman played four years for the Miami University (Ohio) Redhawks. There he scored 24 goals and earned 32 assists in 140 NCAA games. While with Miami, Wideman helped the Redhawks to a CCHA regular season championship in 2013 and an NCHC title in 2015. He will be heading back to a somewhat familiar place as he spent two seasons in Indianapolis as a member of the USHL’s Indiana Ice. Below is a goal he scored while playing for the Ice at the Fairgrounds.
Raphaël Corriveau joins the Fuel after spending the 2015-16 season in France with Morzine-Avoriaz-Les Gets. There he recorded eight points (5g, 3a) and 51 penalty minutes in 23 games. Prior to France, The 6-foot-4, 203-pound winger spent four seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL).
In 253 total games with the Acadie-Bathurst Titan, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and the Québec Ramparts, Corriveau earned 113 points (60g, 53a) and 332 penalty minutes in 253 total games.
“Raphaël is a big kid that plays a hard nosed game. We want be able to add skill to our team but we also want to add some size. He brings both,” said John in the release. “He put up very good numbers at a high level in the QMJHL. We look for Raphaël to add some toughness as well as a touch of scoring to our lineup.”
Above is a video of Corriveau fighting Skylar Strumas while was playing for the Acadie-Bathurst Titan.
With the signing of Corriveau and Wideman, the Fuel now have 12 players under contract for 2016-17, eight forwards, two defensemen and two goaltenders.
2016-17 PRESEASON ROSTER
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R.
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, Alaska). Age: 28. Shoots: R.
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, NY). Age: 23. Shoots: L.
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, Mass). Age: 25. Shoots: L.
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, MI). Age: 25. Shoots: R.
- (R) Anthony Beauregard (5-7, 159, St. Hyacinthe, PQ). Age: 20. Shoots: R.
- Raphael Corriveau (6-4, 203, Levis, Quebec). Age: 22. Shoots: R.
- Alex Wideman (5-7, 150, St. Louis, Mo.). Age: 24. Shoots: L.
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, ONT). Age: 26. Shoots: R.
- Zach Miskovic (6′, 197, River Forest, IL). Age: 31. Shoots: R.
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.). Age: 25.
- Terry Shafer (The 6-2, 190, Rochester, N.Y.). Age: 25.
Get a team-by-team breakdown of all the player movement in the ECHL by visiting our transactions page at thesinbin.net/2016-echl-transactions.