On this edition of the In The Corners Podcast…minor league hockey analytics guru Sean O’Brien joins the show!
C.C. asks Sean about his recent pandemic move from Macon, GA to Pennsylvania (3:00) and what NHL, AHL, and ECHL hockey markets he’ll now be close to (6:00)
Sean expounds on and details…
- How he got into hockey analytics (12:35)
- His current gig with Statstrack (16:15)
- A layman’s breakdown of some basic analytic measurements (18:40)
- How one should rely on both the eye test and advanced analytics (23:30)
- His favorite league to cover analytics-wise (27:20).
- Plus, Sean’s personal advice to coaches…pull the goalie earlier! (31:50)
SEAN’S SIDE PROJECT
C.C. introduces some of his own hypothetical projects (Potential Markets for ECHL Western Expansion and Possible AHL Teams for Vegas to Buy and Relocate) before asking Sean about his recent passion project: organizing each NHL, AHL, and ECHL affiliation by geographical proximity (44:40)
Sean’s spreadsheet is included below, as well as tables for his theoretical divisional layout for the AHL and ECHL.
|SEAN’S NEW AHL DIVISIONAL LAYOUT|
|San Jose||Regina||Syracuse||Lehigh Valley|
|SEAN’S NEW ECHL DIVISIONAL LAYOUT|
|Rapid City||Kansas City||Indy||Maine||Brampton||Greenville|
You can follow Sean and his analytics work on his personal page through Tableau, Twitter, and Instagram as he covers the AHL, ECHL, and SPHL! Don’t forget to give C.C. a follow on Twitter, and The Sin Bin on our Main Webpage, Twitter, and Facebook!
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey