On this edition of the In The Corners Podcast with C.C. Hawkley…Robin Short from The Telegram (St. John’s, N.L., Canada) and new resident analytics guru Mac Moore join the program for the last show of the 2018-19 regular season!
The Newfoundland Growlers captured the 2019 Kelly Cup Championship after a game six victory over the Toledo Walleye this past Tuesday night. Telegram Sports Editor Robin Short talked with C.C. about…
- The Growlers tremendous season (from top to bottom)
- Newfoundland’s past AHL teams (Maple Leafs and IceCaps)
- Overcoming their mid-season coaching change (Ryan Clowe to John Snowden)
- The local players (and broadcaster) that took part in the first pro title for Newfoundland & Labrador
- The wholesale buy-in of the Toronto Maple Leafs organizational philosophy
C.C. and new Sin Bin staff addition Mac Moore (from Dallas, Texas) broke down the statistics and analytics of the Kelly Cup Finals…
- Shot quality versus quantity (see graphic)
- Newfoundland’s success during four-on-four hockey
- Power play and penalty kill percentages
- The analytics genius of Kyle Dubas and the whole Toronto organization
C.C. loses his mind about the Colorado Eagles statement about keeping the Kelly Cup, and reads the ECHL’s response to the Cup not being returned to the league
C.C. wants to thank all the editors, writers, photographers, and everyone else who made The Sin Bin run smoothly in 2018-19. The “In The Corners Podcast” will now go to a monthly format for the offseason, with the next episode scheduled for Monday, July 8.
In the meantime, stay up to date on the AHL Calder Cup Final with Samantha Hoffmann (@SinBinWolves) and Cameron Turner (@SinBinStars) and all offseason happenings in the ECHL and SPHL on The Sin Bin!
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey