On this special April Fool’s Day edition of the In The Corners Podcast with C.C. Hawkley…Wheeling Nailers play-by-play vet DJ Abisalih joins the show! Finishing up his eighth regular season with the Nailers, DJ brought his ECHL wisdom and knowledge to the table with just a week away from the ECHL regular season finale on Sunday, April 7!
DJ and C.C. start off by discussing…
- Pacing yourself as an announcer in the playoffs
- DJ’s food adventures in Virginia Beach (with The Sin Bin’s Sarah Hobday) and Boise
- How minor league hockey franchises succeed in the face of challenges
- The Nailers have to win out and get some help to make the postseason
- The long-standing affiliation with Wilkes Barre-Scranton and Pittsburgh
- Success this season for Zac Lynch, Yushiroh Hirano, and Kevin Spinozzi
- Who will Wheeling go with in net if they make the postseason?
- Steelheads dropped two of three games against Rapid City this past week
- Rush left winger Taylor Crunk receives a suspension for his actions on Saturday night
- Trying out a new sub-segment, “C.C. It My Way”, breaking down the series against Rapid and how much Idaho needs Kale Kessy for the postseason
ECHL Divisional Races (11 of 16 teams are in)
- South, North, Central, and Mountain Playoff Pictures
- Who are the dark horses?
- March Madness style, which four seeds could upset a one seed?
Coinciding with April Fool’s Day, some of the funniest names in hockey history
The CWHL announces they will cease operations as of May 1, 2019
DJ elaborates on his early hockey fandom with the AHL’s Portland Pirates, his first announcing opportunity with the Lewiston MAINEiacs alongside current Jacksonville Icemen announcer Alex Reed, following Alex’s lead in Wheeling, and the origin story of “Dining with Deej”
Catch DJ on iHeartRadio and ECHL.TV during the last three Wheeling Nailers regular season games! Be sure to follow him on Twitter (@Deej_HockeyPxP), as well.
PROGRAMMING NOTE: The 2019 ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs Preview Show will be on Monday, April 8 during the normal runtime of “In The Corners” (6:30pm MT / 7:30pm CT / 8:30pm ET). Join Matthew Harding, John Hafer, Carrie Roberts, Paige Siewert, and C.C. as they break down all eight opening round match-ups in detail. Be sure to tune in!