After a three and a half week holiday break, the In The Corners Podcast with C.C. Hawkley returns, with the ECHL’s South Carolina Stingrays play-by-play announcer Jared Shafran joining the show from North Charleston, S.C.!
For the first episode of 2019, Jared and C.C. jumped around from NFL talk, South Carolina and Idaho (of course), a good five-minute storytime session about current Steelheads (and former Stingrays) forward Steve McParland, the ECHL as a whole, the hockey world-at-large, and Jared’s personal path to commentating.
After a quick intro on why the show aired live on Thursday instead of Monday, Jared and C.C. started the show on a number of random topics…
- South Carolina playing on Sundays, three games in three days
- Jared’s NFL team, the New York Jets, and their new head coach Adam Gase
- C.C.’s NFL team, the Denver Broncos, and their new head coach Vic Fangio
- Other scattered NFL coaching commentary from two hockey personalities!
South Carolina (Jared)
- Key players getting called up to AHL Hershey (a la defenseman Joey Leach)
- Injuries to netminders Parker Milner, Adam Morrison…with Gordon Defiel and Angus Redmond stepping up
- Newly dubbed All-Star Jonathan Charbonneau, plus forwards Grant Besse and Christian Horn
- The benefit of a successful affiliation tree with Washington and Hershey
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl heading to the 2019 ECHL All-Star Classic
- Solid 4-2 Idaho victory over Toledo Wednesday evening
- An Steelheads-Rush brawl on December 29 resulted in three suspensions: Mitch Moroz (five games), Garrett Klotz (four games), and Cedric Montminy (eight games)
- Idaho goes 6-2 since last podcast, standout players in past eight games include Nolan Gluchowski, Reid Petryk, Jeff King, and Keegan Kanzig
The many stories between Idaho, South Carolina, and California regarding Steve McParland!
- How does South Carolina handle divisional foe Greenville and Howe?
- History of the longest suspensions in ECHL history
- AHL has a rule on inter-league suspensions…what about the ECHL and SPHL?
- Where would some good southern teams and sites be for future outdoor games?
Jared’s initial fandom for sports, how he got on the path to broadcasting, and how his journey took him from Boston to California to Nebraska before landing in South Carolina
PROGRAMMING NOTE: The In The Corners Podcast will return to its regularly scheduled day and time slot on Monday, January 14 at 6:30 pm MT / 7:30 pm CT / 8:30 pm ET with special guest Tyson Whiting, play-by-play broadcaster for the Utah Grizzlies!