On this edition of the In The Corners Podcast with C.C. Hawkley…Chris Ballard, the play-by-play broadcaster for the expansion Newfoundland Growlers, joins the show! With topics ranging from the local landscape of his home province, to Golf Canada and everything between, Chris and C.C. covered a lot of (eastern) ground in an hour and a half!
- C.C. makes the commitment to be done on time, since Chris agreed to come on live at 10:00pm Newfoundland Standard Time!
- Time Zone idiosyncrasies in Newfoundland and Labrador
- The Growlers’ organizational tie to one of the most storied franchises in the NHL, the Toronto Maple Leafs
- Newfoundland: The Alaska Aces of the Eastern Conference?
- Four players (and a broadcaster!) returning home
- The ECHL.com article out this past week about Hall of Famer (and Newfoundland native) Darren Colbourne
Chris discusses the Growlers’ league-leading success…
- Newly minted captain James Melindy leading the charge
- Rookie scorers Brady Ferguson, Giorgio Estephan, and Scott Pooley
- A career year for well-traveled goaltender Michael Garteig
C.C. talks about the Steelheads pulling it together…
- The two-game weekend set against Jacksonville for the first time ever
- The emergence of Reid Petryk, Tony Calderone as scoring threats
- The much-anticipated return of left winger Mitch Moroz
- Fantastic starts by goaltender Tomas Sholl and defenseman Colton Saucerman
- Growlers’ NHL affiliate Toronto Maple Leafs agree to terms with William Nylander
- After Detroit Red Wings players Dylan Larkin and Tyler Bertuzzi giving Colorado forward Matt Calvert a little more than he bargained for from the bench, a discussion on enforcers versus goons in today’s game
- Update on Dan Milan and his increased suspension for his actions last week
- Current ECHL Divisional Standings
Chris talks about his time working for Golf Canada (and an Idaho connection with that), why the St. John’s IceCaps didn’t last in the AHL, and the final moments before leaving Brampton to take over as the play-by-play broadcaster for Newfoundland.
Be sure to check out Chris (@GrowlersBallard) and C.C. (@SinBinIdaho) on Twitter, and tune in to Newfoundland’s Mixlr Station to catch the Growlers’ game broadcasts online! And as always, listen in to this show on The Sin Bin app, Mixlr, or on the “In The Corners” page on The Sin Bin’s main webpage every Monday night at 6:30 pm MT / 7:30 pm CT / 8:30 pm ET!