On this edition of the In The Corners Podcast with C.C. Hawkley…the show welcomes its second guest from the Black Hills of South Dakota this season, as Rapid City Rush play-by-play broadcaster Mark Binetti discusses all things Rush and ECHL with C.C.! Mark will be calling his 400th Rush game this Friday night when the Idaho Steelheads visit Rapid City. Did I mention that he brought some of his league-renowned impersonations to the program?
C.C. tells about how a simple tap on the shoulder led to tonight’s show
With Rapid City coming to Boise for three games this past weekend, Mark and C.C. had plenty to talk about regarding the respective squads they cover…
- The character of Rapid City’s locker room in the face of no NHL or AHL affiliate this year
- The bruisers of both teams
- The goalie shuffle strategy during a three-game set
- A Rapid City suspension and a couple of recalls from Idaho
- A few fun (and not so fun) facts about RC and Idaho with a quarter of the season already over
- The ECHL has announced its Hall of Fame Class of 2019 (hint: there’s some Toledo ties there)
- Talk about the current ECHL Division leaders (Newfoundland, Jacksonville, Toledo, and Kansas City)
- Mark’s observation on 2017-18 ECHL MVP Shawn Szydlowski returning just before Fort Wayne’s three-game series against Rapid City, plus the Komets’ early-season struggles
- The plausibility of a couple more Mountain Time Zone franchises in the ECHL
- The parallels between the WCHL folding (2003) and the CHL ceasing operations (2014)
Mark discusses his unlikely journey from med student to sports broadcasting
PROGRAMMING NOTE: Mark Grainda (@SinBinFuel) will be joining the show on Monday, November 26 at our normally scheduled time (6:30 pm MT / 7:30 pm CT / 8:30 pm ET). Chris Ballard (@GrowlersBallard), Director of Broadcasting and Media Director for the Newfoundland Growlers, will be on In The Corners the week after (December 3) at a time to be announced.