EVANSVILLE, IN – The Evansville IceMen return to the Ford Center on Saturday night after completing a six-game road trip that went 2-3-1. Evansville will play five games in the span of nine days, but will be home for four of those games and the only road affair will be in Cincinnati.
The good news is, Evansville will get plenty of opportunity to eclipse last years 15 win mark with their 16th win on home ice. The bad news is, the IceMen are coming off a 0-3-1 slide that ended their road trip.
- Ben Harpur, we barely knew thee – he was loaned to Evansville from Binghamton on January 21st and returned on February 3rd. Ben played four games for Evansville, all on the road, had two assists and was a +2 on the ice.
- Alex Wideman, we barely missed thee – Wideman was recalled to Binghamton on January 20th, but was returned to Evansville on the 29th.
- Evansville started the road trip with wins at Greenville and Atlanta. The IceMen scored 10 goals combined in those two games.
- The IceMen had a lead on the league’s best Missouri Mavericks with roughly 10 minutes to go in the game. Missouri tied the game in regulation and won in OT.
- The wheels fell of the bus the last 3 games of the road trip as Evansville dropped another game to last place Wichita and lost both games in Indy last weekend. One of the games in Indy was a 7-3 beating.
Rapid City Rush @ Evansville IceMen
Saturday February 6, 2016
Ford Center, Evansville, IN
- The Rush have lost eight straight and nine out of their last ten.
- Evansville and Rapid City met on January 13th and the IceMen won 4-2.
- Rapid City has only scored more than two goals a total of 4 times in 2016 and only twice since January 6th.
- Mikhail Stefanovich leads the Rush with 14 goals and Garett Bembridge leads the team with 26 points (12G 14A)
- Winston Day Chief has 25 points and gets mentioned because he has a cool name.
- Danny Battochio has seen the most action for the Rush between the pipes. He’s played in 27 games with a 12-12-2 record. His GAA is 2.95.
Evansville IceMen @ Board of Governors Meeting
No weekend preview would be complete without mentioning that the Board of Governors meeting is taking place this weekend. One of the items that will be voted on is the potential move of the IceMen from Evansville to Owensboro. Team owner Ron Geary is excited about the move, the Owensboro Mayor is excited about the move and the Board of Governors is the last hurdle to clear in order for it to become a reality.
For anyone that is still hanging onto hope that this deal may be blocked at the meeting and some last minute miracle will happen that keeps the IceMen in Evansville, I wouldn’t hold your breath. I anticipate the move to be approved and this will be the final nail in the long and often odd three months of public discussion about the future of the team.
Looking outside the bubble of the Evansville hockey market, keeping a team in the league is what’s best for the league. If moving that team from one city to a neighboring city is what it takes in order to make that happen, I suspect the other owners will be on board with it. Two things are certain, the league will make a decision on it this weekend and the Sin Bin will keep everyone as up to date as we can with the news.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey