On this edition of the Hockey Talk Podcast, The Sin Bin’s Matthew Harding is joined by NHL great and Vice President of Operations for the Maine Mariners, Daniel Briere.
Briere played parts of 17 National Hockey League seasons, more than 900 games, with five different franchises. In his career, he scored 696 points (307G, 389A), survived two lockouts, and played with and against the game’s top players.
He retired after the 2014-15 season and since then has been back with the Philadelphia Flyers organization, learning the ropes on how to run a franchise. In June 2017, he was tabbed to lead the day-to-day operations Maine Mariners, a job he currently holds.
The interview covers multiple topics, including:
- How the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting the sport of hockey
- Is it better for the ECHL to open coincidentally with the NHL/AHL, or open on time in October?
- How will the fan experience be changed as a result of COVID-19?
- How has Briere evolved in the new job?
- Mariners picking up the pace on the ice, led by second-year coach Riley Armstrong
- The process of building a team for 2020-21
- His playing days, playing for legendary coaches; and between Philly and Buffalo, which market deserves a Cup more
Our thanks to Mariners Media Relations and Broadcast Manager, Michael Keeley, for his help in setting up the interview.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey