INDIANAPOLIS, IN – The Indy Fuel announced they have signed wingers Michael Colantone and Matt Rupert to ECHL contracts for the 2016-17 season. Colantone returns to the Fuel after spending the second half of the season with the team while Rupert comes to Indy after playing in Orlando. Both players will be starting their sophomore seasons in the ECHL.
Colantone returns to Indy after earning 17 points (9g, 8a) in 40 games after arriving to Indy in December. The forward spent the first half of the season with the University of Massachusetts-Lowell. There he played in 73 NCAA games with the River Hawks, recording 13 goals and 13 assists, helping the club win Hockey East Regular Season and Playoff titles in 2013.
“We are glad to have Mike back with us this year. He is coming off of a good rookie season and we look forward to see if he can build off that,” said Fuel Head Coach and VP of Hockey Operations Bernie John in the team release. “He has good upside on his offensive game to add to our scoring efforts, and he knows exactly what system we want to play.”
Rupert signs with the Fuel after spending his rookie season with the Orlando Solar Bears. He played in 53 games with Orlando, earning 19 points (11g, 8a) and 45 penalty minutes. He spent the 2015-16 season on a 2-way contract with the Toronto Marlies.
Prior to his professional career, Rupert played parts of five seasons with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). The 5-foot-9, 185-pound left wing finished his major junior career with 223 points (105g, 128a) in 240 games; helping his hometown team to back-to-back OHL championships in 2012 and 2013.
Rupert scoring in the 2013 Memorial Cup while playing with the London Knights
“We’re excited to have Matt join the Fuel this season. He plays a hard game and has a knack for the net,” John explained in the team release. “He played for one the best if not best Major Junior organizations in North America in London, enjoying an excellent junior career with solid numbers and a winning tradition. He’s not afraid to get his nose dirty and drive other teams crazy.”
With Tuesday’s signings the Fuel now have 14 players under contract for 2016-17, consisting of 10 forwards, two defensemen and two goaltenders.
2016-17 PRESEASON ROSTER
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R.
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, Alaska). Age: 28. Shoots: R.
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, NY). Age: 23. Shoots: L.
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, Mass). Age: 25. Shoots: L.
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, MI). Age: 25. Shoots: R.
- (R) Anthony Beauregard (5-7, 159, St. Hyacinthe, PQ). Age: 20. Shoots: R.
- Raphael Corriveau (6-4, 203, Levis, Quebec). Age: 22. Shoots: R.
- Alex Wideman (5-7, 150, St. Louis, Mo.). Age: 24. Shoots: L.
- Michael Colantone (5-11, 205, Cave Creek, AZ). Age: 24. Shoots: R.
- Matt Rupert (5-9, 185, London, ON). Age: 22. Shoots: L.
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, ONT). Age: 26. Shoots: R.
- Zach Miskovic (6′, 197, River Forest, IL). Age: 31. Shoots: R.
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.). Age: 25.
- Terry Shafer (The 6-2, 190, Rochester, N.Y.). Age: 25.
Get a team-by-team breakdown of all the player movement in the ECHL by visiting our transactions page at thesinbin.net/2016-echl-transactions.