INDIANAPOLIS – The first of two preseason games against the Fort Wayne Komets began Friday night for the Indy Fuel. They will play a home-and-home matchup with the Fort Wayne Komets. Preseason for the Fuel began on September 30th and with the first game of the 2016 ECHL season on October 14th, the final roster is beginning to take shape.
The Fuel began training camp with 34 players; 20 forwards, 11 defensemen and three goaltenders. With some subtraction and a few additions, head coach Bernie John and his staff have narrowed down the roster to 28 players. One of the additions being defenseman Drew Schiestel, who the Fuel signed to a tryout contract on Thursday afternoon, as well as two goaltenders and two defensemen from Rockford.
Six Indy players began the 2016-17 season with the Fuel’s AHL affiliate Rockford IceHogs. Forwards Cody Sharib, Anthony Beauregard, Marek Tvrdon, Matt Rupert, Tyler Currier and defenseman Matt Stainsz spent their preseason in the IceHogs’ training camp. Prior to Friday night’s preseason game, Rockford sent back all six players as well as assigning goaltender Eric Levine to the Fuel. Saturday afternoon, the IceHogs announced that they have also assigned goaltender Jake Hildebrand, as well as defensemen Nick Mattson and Jonathan Carlsson to Indy.
This will not be Levine’s first time between the pipes in a Fuel uniform. The 6-foot-3, 181-pound goaltender played three games for the Fuel during the 2014-15 season. Last season he played 19 games for the ECHL’s Colorado Eagles posting a .915 save percentage. Over the past two seasons, Levine has played in 29 ECHL games with Colorado, the Utah Grizzlies, Fort Wayne and Indy, earning a 2.67 goals against average and a .909 save percentage.
Mattson is no stranger to the Indy Fuel, he posted 15 points (1g, 14a) in 48 games with the Fuel in 2015-16. He was a sixth-round selection (No. 180 overall) of the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
Carlsson comes to Indy after playing 25 games for the IceHogs last season. While playing with Indy’s AHL affiliate he tallied 9 points (2g, 7a). As well as playing for the IceHogs, Carlsson played 46 games for the Evansville IceMen last season. While with the IceMen, he donned the alternate captain “A” while scoring one goal and earning four assists.
Hildebrand comes to Indy after playing six games with the Allen Americans after finishing a four-year career with the Michigan State Spartans. In his four years, Hildebrand earned a 45-70-14 record, with a 2.54 goals against average and a .921 save percentage.
Indy’s first of a home-and-home preseason matchup with the Fort Wayne Komets began Friday night at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. The Fuel would hold on to a 4-3 victory. The the two will meet again on tonight at Indiana Farmers Coliseum at 6pm. Fans will have the chance to meet Fuel players in an autograph session after the game as well as receive a free 2016-17 Fuel magnet schedule.
2016-17 PRESEASON ROSTER
- Anthony Beauregard (5-11, 163, St. Hyancithe, QC). Age: 20. Shoots: R.
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R.
- Michael Colantone (5-11, 205, Brooklyn, N.Y.). Age: 24. Shoots: R.
- Raphael Corriveau (6-4, 203, Levis, QC). Age: 22. Shoots: R.
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, AK). Age: 28. Shoots: R.
- (R) Christian Finch (F/D) (6-0, 185, Claremont, ONT.). Age: 25. Shoots: R.
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, N.Y.). Age: 23. Shoots: L.
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, MI.). Age: 25. Shoots: R.
- Matt Rupert (5-9, 188, Grand Bend, ONT.). Age: 22. Shoots: L.
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, MA). Age: 25. Shoots: L.
- Marek Tvrdon (6-2, 217, Bratislava, Slovakia). Age: 23. Shoots: L.
- Alex Wideman (5-7, 150, St. Louis, MO.). Age: 24. Shoots: L.
- (TO) Nick D’Avolio (5-11, 174, North Riverside, IL.). Age: 25. Shoots: L.
- (TO) Alex Hagaman (6-1, 194, Dunlap, IL.). Age: 26. Shoots: L.
- (TO) Jeff Jones (5-9, 174, Revelstoke, BC). Age: 24. Shoots: L.
- Randy Cure (6-3, 205, Bloomington, MN.). Age: 26: Shoots: R.
- Zach Miskovic (6-1, 197, River Forest, IL.). Age: 31. Shoots: R.
- Kyle Shapiro (6-2, 200, Ambler, PA.). Age: 26. Shoots: R.
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, ONT.). Age: 26. Shoots: R.
- (TO) Bo Driscoll (5-8, 181, Chelmsford, MA.). Age: 25. Shoots: L.
- (TO) Griffin Foulk (6-0, 193, Broomfield, CO.). Age: 21. Shoots: L.
- (TO) Rich Ledy (6-4, 201, Marquette, MI.). Age: 27. Shoots: R.
- (TO) Drew Schiestel (6-2, 193, Hamilton, ONT.). Age: 27. Shoots: R.
- (RFD) Nick Mattson (6-1, 190, Chanhassen, MN.). Age: 24. Shoots: L.
- (RFD) Jonathan Carlsson (6-2, 187, Uppsala, SWE.) Age: 28. Shoots: R.
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, MN.). Age: 25. Catches: L.
- (RFD) Eric Levine (6-3, 185, Wheeling, IL.). Age: 27. Catches: L.
- (RFD) Jake Hildebrand (6-0, 194, Butler, PA.). Age: 23. Catches: L.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey