INDIANAPOLIS – The Indy announced Tuesday afternoon that they have signed forward Marek Tvrdon (T’VAIR-doin) to a 2016-17 ECHL contract. A fourth round pick of the Detroit Red Wings in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft (No. 144 overall), Tvrdon comes to Indy after spending parts of the last three seasons in the Detroit system with the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins and the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye.
Tvrdon comes to the Fuel from the Toledo Walleye, where he spent the most of his time during the 2015-16 season. There he posted 21 points (8g, 13a) in 23 games. Along with playing in Toledo, Tvrdon played one game with Grand Rapids and a four games with the KHL’s HC Slovan Bratislava. 53 career AHL games with the Griffins, Tvrdon has 29 points (10g, 19a) – all of which came in 2014-15. In 69 career ECHL games with Toledo, the Slovakian earned 58 points (23g, 35a), along with 36 penalty minutes.
“We are very excited to add Marek to our team. He has good size that he uses to make plays, and brings a lot of high-end skill with a goal-scoring touch. You can see by where he has played that he is a difference maker,” said Fuel Head Coach Bernie John in the team release. “Our offense just got another boost, which was an area we looked to improve upon this offseason. We have done that by adding Marek to the other forwards we have on our roster.”
Prior to his professional career, the the 6-foot-2, 217-pound forward spent parts of four seasons in the Western Hockey League with the Kelowna Rockets and Vancouver Giants. The native of Nitra, Slovakia finished his major junior career with 134 points (56g, 78a) in 119 games. He also appeared in a pair of IIHF World Junior Championships for his native Slovakia; skating in the U18 tournament in 2010 and the U20 tournament in 2012.
Tvrdon comes to Indy with a bit of a checkered past. Since begining his professional career in the 2013-14 season, Tvrdon has been back and forth between Toledo and Grand Rapids, spending the majority of his time with the Walleye. In December of 2015 the Detroit Red Wings placed their 2011 4th round draft pick on unconditional waivers. Tvrdon finished out the 2015-16 season with a 4-game stint in the KHL with HC Slovan Bratislava.
During his time in the ECHL, Tvrdon put up points. While with the Walleye, spanning parts of three seasons, the forward put up 58 points (23g, 35a) in 69 games. Assuming he keeps his mind on the ice and is willing to fight for another chance at the AHL, Tvrdon can put up points in Indianapolis this season.
With Tuesday’s signing the Fuel now have 17 players under contract for 2016-17, consisting of 11 forwards, four defensemen and two goaltenders.
2016-17 PRESEASON ROSTER
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R.
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, Alaska). Age: 28. Shoots: R.
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, NY). Age: 23. Shoots: L.
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, Mass). Age: 25. Shoots: L.
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, MI). Age: 25. Shoots: R.
- (R) Anthony Beauregard (5-7, 159, St. Hyacinthe, PQ). Age: 20. Shoots: R.
- Raphael Corriveau (6-4, 203, Levis, Quebec). Age: 22. Shoots: R.
- Alex Wideman (5-7, 150, St. Louis, Mo.). Age: 24. Shoots: L.
- Michael Colantone (5-11, 205, Cave Creek, AZ). Age: 24. Shoots: R.
- Matt Rupert (5-9, 185, London, ON). Age: 22. Shoots: L.
- Marek Tvrdon (6-2, 209, Nitra, SVK). Age: 23. Shoots: L.
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, ONT). Age: 26. Shoots: R.
- Zach Miskovic (6′, 197, River Forest, IL). Age: 31. Shoots: R.
- Kyle Shapiro (6′, 194, Ambler, PA). Age: 26. Shoots R.
- Nathan Bruyere (6’4, 245, Eagle Lake, ONT). Age: 24. Shoots L.
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.). Age: 25.
- Terry Shafer (The 6-2, 190, Rochester, N.Y.). Age: 25.
Get a team-by-team breakdown of all the player movement in the ECHL by visiting our transactions page at thesinbin.net/2016-echl-transactions.
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey