FAYETTEVILLE, NC – The Fayetteville FireAntz host the Mississippi RiverKings for their home opening weekend at the Crown Coliseum for the 2016-2017 season. Both teams come into the weekend with unblemished records of 2-0-0. The RiverKings come off of a successful opening weekend where they beat the expansion Evansville Thunderbolts 2-1 in the first game of a home-and-home. The ‘Kings traveled to Evansville to secure another victory in a shootout by a score of 4-3, while the FireAntz are coming off of a surprising weekend where they traveled to the defending President’s Cup champion Pensacola Ice Flyers and secured victories in both games by scores of 6-3 and 2-1 in a shootout.
FAYETTEVILLE FIREANTZ (2-0-0)
- Fayetteville won 3 of 4 meetings against Mississippi scoring a combined total of 17 goals in the 4 meetings last season.
- Current Fayetteville starting goalie Sean Bonar did not face Mississippi last season.
- Forward Joe Manno missed the 2nd game last weekend and could potentially miss both games this weekend with an undisclosed injury.
- Defenseman Alex Brooks is tied with forward Tayler Thompson with 3 points after 2 games and they lead the FireAntz in scoring.
- Goalie Sean Bonar played in both games in Pensacola to start the season and has a GAA of 1.92 with a save percentage of .930.
- Defenseman Kyllian Kirkwood was traded to the Evansville Thunderbolts for future considerations.
- Defenseman Sean Robertson was signed to a contract.
- Forward Max Cook was placed on the 14-day IR.
MISSISSIPPI RIVERKINGS (2-0-0)
- Mississippi had a 10-1 record against Fayetteville dating back to the 2013-2014 season until last season where Fayetteville took 3 of 4 games.
- Goalie Peter Di Salvo had a rough go against Fayetteville last season with a saves percentage below .850 but is currently on the 14-day IR.
- Forward Todd Hosmer led the Riverkings with 6 points against the FireAntz last season.
- Forward Matt Harrington leads the RiverKings with 3 points after 2 games.
- Goalies Alex Caffi and Brad Barone combined to post great numbers last weekend in the RiverKings two wins. Caffi has a save percentage of .971 while Barone sports a .927 save percentage.
- Forward Mark Petaccio was waived.
10/28/16: The FireAntz use the energy of their first home game of the young season and push their record to 3-0-0 with a 4-2 victory. Bonar shines in net and makes 30 saves in the win.
10/29/16: The RiverKings rebound and come out on a mission to get some points this weekend on the road and take this game by a score of 3-2.