GLENS FALLS, NY – The Adirondack Thunder began their regular season at home on Saturday night against their North Division rival Brampton Beast.  The crowd of 4,021 got their money’s worth in an exciting, back-and-forth game that saw nine goals, 15 penalties, and 70 shots on goal between the two teams.

The penalties started early in Saturday’s game, with the first coming 3:03 into the game, when Brampton’s Jordan Henry got nabbed for tripping.  It only took seven seconds for the Thunder to capitalize when Ty Loney set up Troy Bourke for a power-play goal.  Adirondack’s Paul Rodrigues took a trip to the penalty box for hooking shortly after, at the 3:33 mark.  Six seconds before the penalty was set to expire, Brampton’s Thomas Ebbing scored, assisted by Kevin Dufour and Tyson Wilson.  With the scored tied 1-1, J.C. Campagna and Brian Ward took penalties 34 seconds apart to give the Beast a 5-on-3 for 1:26.  Adirondack not only killed off both penalties but also held Brampton to a lone shot on goal, which came just after Campagna was released from the box.  Later in the period, Adirondack would get its own 5-on-3, though a much shorter one.  Yannick Veilleux took a slashing penalty six seconds before Corey Durocher‘s hooking penalty was set to expire.  The Thunder didn’t capitalize on either of those penalties, but did score 11 seconds after Veilleux departed the box.  Eric Neiley deflected a shot by Austin Orszulak to put the Thunder up 2-1.  Pierre-Luc Mercier also assisted on that goal.  Campagna and Desmond Bergin set up Loney at the 19:31 mark to put the Thunder up 3-1 heading into the middle frame.

The second period was toned down quite a bit, with only three penalties, all assessed to Adirondack, and one goal.  Nick Trecapelli went off for slashing 57 seconds into the frame, followed by Mike Bergin for holding at 2:35.  Brampton couldn’t even get a shot on goal during these penalties.  The next infraction came at the 12:04 mark, when Mercier went off for goaltender interference.  The score remained 3-1 until 18:07 of the second period, when Beast forward Jordan Boucher scored on the backhand, set up by Ebbing and Willie Corrin.

The third period was arguably the most exciting of the game, with tons of back-and-forth action.  Brampton opened the scoring at 2:56 when Veilleux fed Brandon Marino right in front of the Thunder net to tie the game at three goals apiece.  Adirondack’s Bourke would answer right back less than 20 seconds later, set up by Loney and Campagna.  The teams would exchange slashing penalties, Brampton’s Chris Leveille going off at 4:35 and Adirondack’s Neiley at 6:18, before the scoring resumed.  Brampton once again tied things up, this time Leveille at 10:46, assisted by Marino and Paul Cianfrini.  Adirondack would respond 36 seconds later when Loney scored on Bourke’s perfect pass from behind the net.  Kevin Lough also received an assist on what would be the game-winner.

There were several players who shined in the contest, most notably the line of Loney-Bourke-Campagna.  The trio was responsible for four of the team’s five goals, and nearly a third of the shots faced by Brampton’s goaltender Michael McNiven.  Adirondack’s penalty kill was also stellar, only allowing six shots on goal during the eight penalties taken over the course of the night; and allowing none while down by two men.  Thunder goaltender Nic Riopel had a strong game, with 32 saves, absolutely robbing the Beast offense at times.  Marino and Ebbing were impressive for the visitors, each with a goal and assist.

With opening weekend in the books, the Adirondack Thunder are currently tied with the Worcester Railers for second place in the North Division with each team winning their lone game thus far.

Open a MyChoice checking account and get $100. Use promo code SinBin100

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!