PROVIDENCE, RI – Sunday afternoon, the Providence Bruins took on the Wilkes-Barre/ Scranton Penguins in a matinee matchup at the Dunkin Donuts center. Malcolm Subban started in net for the Bruins opposed by Matt Murray for the Penguins. The Bruins looked to rebound from their Saturday night overtime loss to the Springfield Falcons.

The period started out with the Penguins controlling the play and creating some early chances. The Bruins went to work after that creating their own chances in the Penguins zone. Matt Murray was strong in net for the Penguins, but the Bruins kept coming. Murray and the Penguins were able to with stand two Bruins power plays and a plethora of shots. Noel Acciari took the puck in on a break with a lot of moves, but Murray stones him cold. After that chance though Murray appeared to be in some discomfort when standing up. The Bruins looked capitalize on the injured goalie, Frank Vatrano picked off a clearing attempt and ripped it right through the five hole of Murray. Murray rebounded nicely after the goal though continuing to make saves as the two teams traded chances late in the first. The first period ended with the Providence Bruins leading the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 1-0 and the shots 11 to 6 in favor of the Bruins.

The second period started with both teams battling back and forth looking for position. The Penguins found it first and capitalized immediately. Jean-Sebastien Dea scored for the Penguins assisted by Sahir Gill and Carter Rowney. But the Bruins struck right back, as Colton Hargrove put home a Colby Cave rebound. It only took 1:31 for the Penguins to tie it, Josh Archibald scored for the Pens assisted by Keal Mouillierat. They continued to go back and forth with each goalie starting to settle into the net. But as the period went on Andrew Cherniwchan got a back door pass from Alexander Khoklachev and fired it past Murray. Brandon Defazio was given the secondary assist. The second period was halted after Tommy Cross was hit into the glass breaking it. The Bruins went to intermission with the rest of the second period being played after the break.

After the break the Bruins went right back on the offensive, Colby Cave was able to slip one past Murray assisted by Blidh. As the second period was winding down Brandon Defazio sent a pass cross ice to Austin Czarnik for the goal. The second period ended with the Bruins leading 5-2 and the shots 24 to 18 for the Bruins.

The two teams switched ends and the third period was underway. The Bruins were battling hard in the Penguins end and trying to shut down in their own. Sub was forced at points to make some huge saves in order to keep the score the same. The two teams battled hard but the Bruins were just the better team. As the horn sounded the Bruins took a well deserved 5-2 victory back into the locker room with them.

Third star Tommy Cross, though he had a quiet night on the score sheet, he played a great defensive game. Second star Andrew Cherniwchan, scored what would the game winner for the Bruins helping them win. First star Colby Cave, had a goal and an assist while helping the Bruins to victory.

The Bruins will take on the Springfield Falcons at the Dunk on Friday night.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here