Happy holidays from everyone at The Sin Bin! While we are away enjoying the holidays with our families, we are leaving you two of our best podcasts from 2018 as gifts under the digital tree!
In the first edition of the Best of the Inside the SPHL Podcast, Matthew Harding, Mike Campos, and Dana Barker are joined by legendary Birmingham TV meteorologist James Spann!
Spann is the Chief Meteorologist at ABC 33/40 in Birmingham, Alabama and has been there since the station opened its doors 24 years ago. All told, Spann has been in the television weather business for over 40 years.
In 2012, he was awarded the “Broadcaster of the Year” award by the National Weather Association for his “passionate dedication to serving Central Alabama residents with critical weather information for over 30 years, especially during the April 27, 2011 tornado outbreak.”
One year later, he received the “Award for Broadcast Meteorology” from the American Meteorological Society for his “tireless efforts to advance the public’s awareness of and engagement in the science of meteorology, particularly in severe weather forecasting and response.”
Mr. Spann is also a two-time Emmy award winner and was one of the first television meteorologists to earn the Certified Broadcast Meteorologist designation by the American Meteorological Society and the host of the Weatherbrains podcast.
In this best of episode, the guys talked with James about:
- April 27, 2011 Tornado Outbreak, how that affected James and his staff
- Improvements in meteorology since April 27, 2011
- TV stations issuing phony “Weather Alert Days” and how it confuses the warning process
- How to grow and handle social media trolls, haters and know-it-alls
- Hurricane Florence (which, at the time, was nearing the North Carolina coast)
- Sporting events and weather warnings
Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do! https://www.patreon.com/thesinbinhockey