Open a MyChoice checking account and get $100. Use promo code SinBin100

BRAMPTON, ON – Hours after giving up seven and watching their goalie get injured in Kalamazoo, the Beast welcomed the Western Conference-leading Toledo Walleye into Powerade Centre Sunday afternoon to complete a three-in-three.

Beast 1 - Walley 2 (SO)

Redmond is Ready
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

Traditionally, when the Beast play the Walleye, the Walleye win. However, the last time the Walleye and Beast played, the Beast won 3-1 at home in Brampton. For that win, Chris Driedger was in net for the Beast, which was the case again on Sunday. Angus Redmond got the start since Pat Nagle had played the previous two nights.

Jeff King is Coming
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

With the goalie matchup set, the Beast brought it hard to the Walleye putting 15 shots on net, and opened the scoring off a Jeff King goal part way through the first period. The Walleye responded with two minutes left in the period to tie the game at one apiece. The first period had a number of penalties, including when A.J. Jenks jumped Vincent Dunn from behind as Dunn was getting into it with Beau Schmitz. In a surprising call, the referee gave all three of them two minutes each for roughing, even though Jenks was the third man into the fight.

Traccitto on the Move
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

With the game tied at one each, the Beast came out hard for the second. They completely dominated the Walleye for almost the entire 20 minutes of the period. Even still, the Walleye managed to double their shot output of the first and got eight shots to the Beast’s 14. While the referee definitely could have called more penalties on both teams, only getting Reggie Traccitto for cross-checking. As neither team was able to score short-handed goals in this game, it was really a non-issue.

MacLean at Full Speed
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

When the third period started, it was obvious that both teams were tired. Neither team played at the same intensity as the second period. While the Walleye control more of the period, the offensive stalemate continued. Midway through the period, it was obvious that the next goal was going to be the winner.

Driedger Pouncing on the Pucks
Photo: Robyn Iwaskiw/The Sin Bin

The game was worthy of highlight reels for both teams. The regulation 60 minutes was not enough and five more minutes were added. While the Beast controlled almost the entire overtime period, nothing was decided in that time. The teams went to the shootout for the first time in the series since the start of the 2016-17 season at the Beast’s home opener. The Walleye won that game 6-5, and this would not be any different. The Walleye won 2-1 on a Jenks goal, the only goal of the shootout. In the end, both teams put on a fantastic game of hockey, even though Beast didn’t get the full two points.


Score: Walleye 2 – Beast 1 (SO)
Shots: Walleye 27 – Beast 39
Penalties: Walleye 4 – Beast 4


Walleye goal scored by Mike Borkowski with assists by Zach Nastasiuk and Simon Denis.

Beast goal scored by King with assists by Stefan Fournier and Scott Jacklin.

The Beast next play Thursday their last school day game, as they host divisional rivals the Reading Royals.

Follow @SinBinBeast on Twitter for live game updates.

Please consider becoming a Patron as a way to say thanks and support us for what we do!